• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Requesting 'gill photo IDs

Polar Bear

I know someone my age should know this by now but I don't...

Would some kind soul please post a side by side photo comparison of a bluegill, pumpkinseed and hybrid sunfish. My buddies and I argue all the time about how to tell the difference.

No prob on two of the species!

BDR made it up for some 'gill fishing today and he hit a trophy in both species.

Bluegill...

bluegill7zl.jpg

Pumpkinseed...

pumpkin9wy.jpg

Hybrids are very similar to a bluegill, but have larger mouths and are much more bland.

her's a pic of a pure strain bluegill caught last year(i posted it earlier in another section)...black earflap(no red on the ear flap which is characteristic of the pumpkin seed)...

johnsbearlaketrip017copy.jpg

here's a minnesota DNR site of the difference between the 2

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish/sunfish/biology.html

Here's a nice pumpkinseed that I caught out of Little Cutfoot Sioux, by Winnie at first ice this year. Unfortunately, I didn't have a tape measure that day. That is one of those padded seats that snaps on to the top of a 5 gallon bucket, so you get an idea of how big it was. CPR'd.

pumpkinseed3yv.jpg

Brian

Here are some more I found looking around on the web. Perfect pics to show the species.

Warmouth...

goggleeye9nf.jpg

Green Sunfish...

greensunfish4ui.jpg

Hybrid Sunfish... Notice the shallower, more bland body, and the much larger mouth than a pure strand.

hybridsunfish7jq.jpg

Redear Sunfish... Otherwise known as shellcracker or bream. Notice the long ear!

redbreast0hy.jpg

Longear Sunfish... They only reach 5".

lngsun3wd.jpg

Orange Spotted Sunfish...

orangespottedsunfish7qy.jpg

Redbreast Sunfish...

redbreast4px.jpg

oldtyme...it most certainly is!.. grin.gif.very perceptive!....and only a little of the rod showing!....guess the giveaway is the eagle claw yellow...yup....the "6'er"..from cabela's...i like it over pure graphite for panfish...and old design from an old rod company.....kinda of a "whippy"slow rod..."gives" when they make that dash...even though i use other rods... the featherweight is one of my favorites... grin.gif

Yep. I have 3 of 'em. Mine are the 6'6". I bought one used off hsolist & liked it so much I bought 2 more new ones.

You got the "whippy" part right. Great for getting small jigs & spinners moving on the cast. The used one I have is nice & broke in, loose as a goose(lol). It's what I use for the spinners, the new ones I'm using for bobbers.

They will hold up on bigger fish too as I've caught a few big bass & walleye on it.

Ok back on topic.

Here is probably the biggest "gill" I caught last year. CPR. I guess it's a Redear or shellcracker (?)

axle021medium8ji.th.jpg

(click for larger picture)

Funny story about this guy, I was moving around throwing a bobber w/ a cricket, I hooked this fish & set the pole down to go and reach for the anchormate & drop anchor, next thing I know my rod started lifting out of the boat, I had to catch it to keep it from going over. I guess never underestimate the fish you just caught blush.gif

(my hand span is 7 inches)

Thanks. I was thinking hybrid myself. The mouth is really weird on these fish. I catch quite a few of these at the lake I normally go to. They are always bigger than the average gill.