• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slider Jigs

Andy....When I first got started with plastics I thought the slider concept was a sensible one. After trying the jigs rigged in a weedless fashion as directed, I found that I was missing way too many fish at the hookset. If I hit the strike too softly the point of the hook would not penetrate the plastic far enough to grab the fish. If I set harder, I'd tear the thing from the mouth of the fish. One such hookset presented me with the top jaw of the crappie.

I like the collarless ballhead jigs built on an EagleClaw Lazer sharp, a mustad, or the gamakatsu blood hooks. These too can be rigged to be weedless if needed. Even with the premium hooks they are cheaper to use (and lose) than the slider styled hooks.

The one benefit of the slider head is the larger hook. Better hookups can result when the hook's gap is wider, but that too can be over-kill at times.

It depends, which slider jig heads are you looking at?? The original slider jig head is great. It's just like a fish head jig and I've found them both to be great for crappie fishing.

As Tom stated, if you're looking at the slider pro style weedless jigs, you want to rig the grubs with the point of the hook just out of the grub or you may lose fish. It's a good concept, but more bass orientated in my opinion.

Often times when using plastics a wider hook gap is needed to obtain good hooking ability. Here at Scenic Tackle our Ball Head Jigs have a slight over sized hook in them for that purpose. We also use VMC hooks for these jigs as I have found them to be the strongest hooks in the smaller sizes.

These jigs are available in an array of colors in sizes 1/32 and 1/16th oz. They also work well when a smaller jig is desired for the walleye leech combination. Ask for them in a sporting good stores near you or contact me at the below email address.

Rick asked me to let you know that we have the Pro Series Jigs available at TackleCity.com - CLICK HERE.

I have my molds modified to accept larger than the recommended hooks as well. Some plastics tend to be bulky up where the hook is found and the extra distance makes for far better (easier) hooksets.

The larger hook gap is also nice when the fishing heats up and getting fish off the hook and back into the water is important. Deep hooking becomes less an issue and those taken on smaller jigheads can end up with injuries to the jaws or lip parts that can actually hinder the fish's ability to feed properly.

jeff. question; how small of a jig hook does the red come in ? i use a lot of 1/16 ( #8 hook) down to 1/80 on a #10 hook. do any of the companies make the red hooks in these sizes.