• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies at midnight?

ivegottabite

It would be better to try the early morning bite, BUT you can still catch crappies throughout the night. Crappies will feed periodically throughout the night and sometimes you might even experience your best bite from midnight to 2am. I've seen that happen on numerous occasions during midwinter. It seems like the crappies like to come on in waves and feed every couple hours. You'll get a flurry here or there, but I wouldn't call off the trip if you can only get out after 11:30pm, there are still fish to be caught.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I know i have caught fish after midnight by lantern light. Drilled a hole half through and put the lantern in there. I dont know if this attracted them, or it was just by coincidence. I definitely woudlnt give up going out that late though.

Yes Yes I was out on Henn county lake last night and we fished from 4pm-1230am. The vex was lit up the whole time. I could not believe crappies would bite that late. We were also fishing very deep. You might want to find a lake that is a little deeper

well i made it out friday night to a small lake around my work. it was still 30 odd degrees with no breeze, so no need for a shelter grin.gif

surprisingly found crappies in just about all the dozen and a half holes we drilled. a few marks on the vex in each hole, which made me happy to know the fish were still up. wink.gif alot were sniffers but did manage half dozen crappies around the 10-11" mark and even a small sunnie. glad to know that the fish are out there but wish i could've got more to commit. maybe i'll try again this week and hope for better luck and a little bigger size.

We had this discussion two years ago I believe in the URL forum. Do a search and you'll find it.

It depends on if you're using it for lantern stability and a light source, or to attract fish. If your target is to attract fish you're in trouble...