• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NAVHDA Natural Ability Test???

cyberamish

Just picked up a 12 mo GSP on Saturday. She came with the usual AKC paperwork but also had a little plaque for NAVHDA Natural Ability Test that reads "GSP Prize I 110 Points". What is this test and how is it scored? I looked at NAVHDA's web site but it really doesn't describe what the test involves or the scoring.

I'm not a NAVHDA guy at all but when I see a person bragging up their dog they usually have a score of 110 or better. My guess is that's a pretty good score. You may have a good one on your hands. Congrats.

That's a fantastic score. Max points are 112, anything above 99 is considered a Prize I (80/Prize II, 58/Prize III). The test is scored in 7 areas; nose, search, water, pointing, tracking, desire to work, and cooperation.

I plan to enter my GSP pup in a NA test this year.

Feel free to shoot me an email. joe _ houser at earthlink dot net

Cyber

NA is scored in nose, search, water, pointing, tracking, desire to work, and cooperation. The pup gets scored 1-4 in every area. Then they multiply times a index factor. (2-6)

112 is a maximum score. The prize class has minimum requirerments. To prize 1 you have to get a 4 in nose and search and 3s in the rest. It is possible to get a prize 2 108 if you only get scored 2 in track. Track has a index # of 2. Your pup probably received a 3 in track with all 4s in everything else. Thats how it got a 110 prize 1, GREAT JOB. It shows your pup has been exposed to birds and has all the natural ability to continue on to be a good hunting dog. Train it right and enjoy.

Griff guy

Thanks for all of the info! I have a feeling that she will be a good hunter for me. I did get to watch her work some pigeons that were shot over her when I picked her up. Considering that there was no scent trail for her to follow and the added distraction of my two boys asking about a gazillion questions she did very well. Best paer is that my boys have already been rough housing with her and she really seems to enjoy them. Can't wait to get her into some obedience training with my oldest son and I and then out to the game farm for some bird work. This is the first dog I have gotten from an established trainer/breeder so I am just a little excited.

Cyber,

Griff guy hit it right on the nose regarding a Prize II, 108 points as I have a GSP that did that same score (or a 106, can't remember). The judges weren't sure on the track that she hadn't scented the bird because the bird circled back at us. At that point I was very pleased as the previous weekend the dog had absolutely refused to track and instead would cast and scent until it found the bird. I was fired up over the high points and just glad she did any track!

A Prize I, 110 points is an excellent score and now the fun starts! Don't be afraid to join NAVHDA and work towards a utility test as that would be the next step after Natural Ability.

I watched your other posts and think it is awesome that the kids and you are already into the new dog after your earlier experiences! Have fun.

Thanks, I have one other question. I plan on working with her extensively this spring and summer. Mostly retreaving and field work with scented dummies. I will also be taing her out to the game farm to work some birds this spring before it gets too warm. My question is this....if I am planning on sending her back to a professional trainer for a 1 month "refresher", when would the best time be? Should I do it right away or wait until closer to hunting season? The last dog I had "trained" spent 2 1/2 months at the trainer (and put a HUGE dent in my savings account) but never did hunt. I really don't have that concern with this dog I'm just a little unsure aboutand inexperienced with trainers. Thanks for all the feedback guys!!