• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

French Brittanys

want2bfishin'

I had to put my 13 year old Golden Retriever down a week ago and am already looking for another dog. I have a 7 year old Gordon Setter and am looking at a French Brittany. My wife wants another Golden as they are great family dogs but I have since switched over to pointers and want to stay there. Does anyone have any comments or experiences with French Brittanys? I have read quite a bit and talked to some breeders and am pretty interested.

The American Brittany is a fine hunting dog. I am sure French Brittanies are fine hunting dogs too, but I look at most of the suggested differences as just hype.

Marketing makes people want something different or unique. English lab, French Brittany, etc... A breeder that is focused on French Britts may argue or suggest this or that is superior. Many must do this since their kennel stock is tied to that "investment"

The Brittany is a dog that has not been polluted by the AKC Show crowd. Some retriever and pointing breeds have almost two separate standards - one hunting stock and one show stock.

This in NOT true for the Brittany.

Any arguement that an American Brittany is substandard to a French Brittany is pure bull @#$%! The difference is mainly color. Frenchies can have black spots and/or black noses.

Pick a breeder (American or French) that is trying to develop dogs that meet your style or expectations. Field trials (w/horses), Walking trials, or closer ranging personal gun dog, etc...

If a French Brittany breeder starts slamming the American Brittany move on to someone that is focusing on the positive traits his dogs have and how they match your expectations!

I have to agree with brittman 100 %. There aren't noticable differences. A french breeder may blow smoke but to sell pups for what they sell them for they need a sales pitch. I think it is a good idea to look at the parents & see them hunt if possible & decide from there. Shop around until you see what you want in a dog. Then when you get the pup invest your time to make it reach its potentail.

Ike

I put my French Britt down a year ago next week. She was my first hunting dog and she was everything you'd want in a hunting dog. (I'd love to go into details, but won't) She was great with the family, all thru her fifteen years. It's funny how some people will give the French Britts grief, so be prepared for it...but it's talk. I'd go with the advice of seeing the parents...if they're good, chances are you'll have no issues. My new pup is ten months old today. She came from the same breeder and had there been a French available, I would have taken her. But since there was not, I thought it time to try something else (but definately stayed with the Britts). My new pup is so much like her great aunt (my 1st Britt) but she's American. She's great with the kids and really easy on my carpet. So far, she's trained up really well. I'm looking forward next fall...! Good luck, go for it. You'll be pleased.

Thanks for the information. As for the search, it looked to be going well until the wife located some Golden Retriever pups that she was determined to go see. Of course, we bought one. I am still looking for a French Brittany and would be interested talking to anyone that might be able to help. I guess we'll just be a 3 dog family for a while.