• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing with a bow for carp

quick question, can i fish for carp with a bow in minneapolis like at calhoun or cedar lake or is it illegal? i contacted some folks from the city and they kept trasferring me to different people and have never gotten an answer. thanks for the info.

train

You better search a bit further, and talk to the DNR or a C.O. directly. If you make it past them I would talk to the Minneapolis Park Police to assure it is legal.

I used to bowfish in these lakes when I was younger(20 years ago) and naive to the laws.

I am just short of positive that bowfishing follows some of the spearing laws... like no spearing in Designated trout and Designated Musky lakes. All popular Minneapolis lakes are designated musky lakes. Another thing you must check into is the use of projectile weapons within the Minneapolis parks other than designated areas(archery range). I know for a fact it is illegal to shoot a bow on your own property in Minneapolis.

In the modern day, we are way better safe than sorry. We dont need hundreds of dollars worth of tickets, confinscated equipment, and manditory court appearances to try to enjoy an afternoon of bowfishing.

Freighttrain, I noticed that you're from St. Louis Park. You can find great Carp shooting on Minnehaha Creek. And Shady Oak Lake has tons of them. There's several other places to shoot them nearby that don't have the Minneapolis regulations. When my sons were young, they would go to Shady Oak with nets and spears and litteraly fill burlap bags full of Carp. One of my boys was known for catching them by hand and throwing them onto the shore.

I've bowfished infrount of the bandstand on harriet before. Park Patrol rolled up, but did not say a thing. Have seen a few people around doing the same. I asked DNR at the fair last year, they couldn't find a regulation restricting it on the metro lakes.