• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your Favorite Spinning Reel

ksdog

I like Tica personally. They make an outstanding ice reel and open water reel. The Cetus is phenomenal for panfish and winter walleyes and the Libra is great for open water walleyes.

JR's Tackle also makes a nice ultralite reel called the Ultra 8. It's an 8 ball bearing reel that's very smooth with a reliable drag system.

Shimano makes a very nice series of reels as well.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I'm going to be in the same boat as ksdog here soon. I've got a Crappie Tom Signature Series Crappie Rod on order and will be looking to put a reel on that. I've looked at all the Shimanos and Diawa's, etc, but right now I'm thinking about putting on a Okuma Inspira. I'ver heard some good things regarding the Okuma reels.

Andy

I have one Okuma, and not even an expensive one, but it feels NICE. Unfortunately it's a little heavy for the rod I have it on, but that's my fault. Guess I'll have to find a better reel for that rod and a new rod for that big reel. Bummer. But I'll be looking for another Okuma.

I have this thing for Shimanos in open water, but for the ice JR's little ultra 8's are proving to be sweet machines. I also have a larger frame JR's unit for open water as well as an Okuma. These won't see any time tomorrow though as I have bait casters set up for jigging in the boat right now. It is darned hard for me to advocate anything but the 4600 series C3's and C4's on light action casting rods when I do the early fishing with plastics on jigs.

Assuming that the question was directed at ice reels, I think the market is absolutely full of quality products to chose from and a little shopping can pay some huge dividends. My primary concerns with an ice reel are a smooth drag and light weight in the hand.

I see you are from a couple miles away. You don't see much ice fishing, do you? For what you want in a reel I'd look at Shimano, Diawa, Cabela's "house" reel, Okuma. Basically any decent brand of reel in the middle of the price-range should do you well.

As mentioned previously, I have been using Shimano Sahara series reels for a while now and have seen them go thru three up-grades. I still am using a couple that were the "first year" saharas and they still work great.

These reels are front drag models (which I prefer) and balance a crappie rig out real well. About 60 shells apiece and very durable.