• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How about Tullibee?

TheGuy

I was not sure ware to post this but I thought I would start here. Any help with this would be great. My wife got me a smoker for Christmass and I would like to get some Tullibee to smoke.

I would like to target tullibee come open water and wanted to know if anybody could help me out? This would be the first time going after tullibee; I have never even caught one. There is a smaller lake that bottoms out around 55 feet or so and has some nice numbers in it. Is early in the year better? How deep? What should I use?

Thanks everyone!!

I was looking for somewhere to post a request for smoked tullibee recipes and saw your post. I to just got a smoker. Finally decided to quit cussing at tullies for interupting my walleye fishing and see if they are as good smoked as everyone says.

As far as where & how, I catch them on the Lake of the Woods in fairly deep water (30+) while targeting walleyes. Hard to tell them apart until they are on. Never catch a lot at a time but have a couple dozen in the freezer waiting for a brine recipe.

Good luck!

Mr. Royal,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a brine for you but I will have to get it form home and post it on Money. I use it for pike and crappies and it works great. Do you catch Tullibee in spring or fall on open water?

We were catching them in 31 ft on winnie sat. I was using a perch colored Scenic Tackle Glow Devil. It was easy to spot them over the perch as they would come off the bottom and just look for minutes. After bringing them up a couple of feet and watching them go back down and bringing them up again, they would hit.