• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hitch for Skidoo

Bigbartguy

I've finally broke down, bought a couple of sleds and would like to use 1 of them to tow a portable out on the ice.

I'm wondering where you buy the hitch to put on the sled? I've seen them in the Skidoo catalog for around $75 but am wondering if there is a cheaper alternative somewhere?

Internet searches are no help - only seems to pull up auto/truck applications!

thanks for the help !

Tim

I put a generic hitch on my wife's MX-Z 440 fan earlier this year. I bought it from the local dealer for about $10. I imagine that they got it from a aftermarket company like dennis kirk or bell. Alot better than paying triple the amount for a Ski-Doo one.

thanks folks. I found a cheap generic one on Dennis Kirk for about $10. I'm just using it to pull a tent-type portable on a sled so I think this should be adequate.

Extreme - did you have to drill thru the back bumper to install yours?

thanks again!

bigbartguy-

Sounds like you'll be OK.

If you ever decide to pull a heavier load, you'll definitely want to pony up the money for the Ski-Doo hitch. I'm sure it is like my Cat hitch with a chunk of round steel tube that wraps around the back of the tunnel with mounting brackets to secure the hitch to the side of the tunnel. I've had no problem pulling a heavily weighted Otter Lodge with this set-up.

BigBart; yes I did drill through the tubing. The dealer said that If I pulled any heavy weights that I should constuct a metal plate and attach it under the seat and hook it to the hitch. My fishtrap is pretty light and I have yet to have a problem. Good luck!

Hers's mine

I just went to the hardware store and came up with the materials to make one. Think I spent $9.00. I used 2 U bolts, 2 pieces of 2 by 4 cut in half the same size as my rear grab bar, and a hinge. I had to bend the hinge slightly. I screwed the hinge to 1 piece of wood. I then fastened the two pieces of wood (one with the hinge obviously facing out the rear) to the rear grab bar with the U bolts. It's nice cause I did not want to drill any holes in my 2005 Doo X package. I have drug the house all over Lake of the woods and Winni with no problems, Hope this helps.

Matt

GLAD TO HERE SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE USING DENNIS KIRK. I AM A SALES SUPERVISOR HERE AND WE APPRECIATE YOUR BUISNESS. IF YOU EVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH AN ORDER LET ME KNOW ON HERE AND ILL BE SURE TO TAKE CARE OF YA OR EMAIL ME AT

tjs6189 AT YAHOO DOT COM

fisherman69-

Problems with a Dennis Kirk order??? I can't ever recall having one!!! Guess that makes your job easy. grin.gif

I also love the pickup window. If I need something REAALLLY bad, they will have it ready by the time I make the 1 1/2 hour drive up there.