• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small crappies bigger ones around?

FISH AWAY

I'm fishing a lake that the average depth is 8 to 15 ft deep with one hole on the lake that gets to about 22ft.I went there last night and was seeing crappies coming off the bottom and managed to catch 3, 2 about 5" long the other about 9".I am wondering if I should be fishing in the middle of the bowl or should I be right off the drop into the 22 ft mark.The Ottertail river goes through the lake and in the summer you can catch some nice 12"ers so I know there in there.Any suggestions

I can tell you that on the lake I am currently fishing (which is also a bowl), I am fishing in the deepest part of the lake. In this case 17ft. I generally find that the bigger fish are suspended, but sometimes it is the exact opposite. Just got to have patience. I have had my best bite all year these last two days. grin.gif

I'd suggest that when you get there the next time you begin fishing higher up in the water column and start with a larger jigging type jure with a treble and hang a couple of waxies or maggots on the hook. Instaed of beginning at the bottom, do so at about 6 feet up and jig the bait hard for a couple secs, then rest for ten secs, jig again for a couple.....you get the idea.

I have always considered the fish up in the water column to be "lookers", those which are searching for food. If you are pulling the small fish off the bottom, chances are that the larger ones have a different agenda and are higher up. Using a larger jig and working it as described will create a lots of attention getting noise and the larger fish will hone in on that from a great distance.

Remember, when using electronics you are operating (seeing) everything only within the cone angle and it does not mean that fish are not twenty feet away from the edge of that angle. This is like advertising....if you want to get the attention of a specific crowd you have to do something that commands that attention. This is one time when larger bait=larger fish can actually hold true.

Some lakes i find the bigger crappies are higher than the main schools of fish, and other lakes you have to get your bait below the main schools to find the bigger crappies.

Also for the bigger ones I will use a spoon with waxies and jig it very aggressive and try to get an agressive response, works to help bring in more fish also.