• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I'm thinking of booking a fishing trip to a resort on Pakwash Lake (between Red Lake and Ear Falls, ON) for the week of Memorial Day (May 28-June 4). Does anybody have any thoughts about this lake, good or bad? Also, is this generally a good time of year for walleye, bass, or northern that far north or would I be better waiting a few weeks? Thanks!

I hear you cluckin' big chicken. The only thing I can offer is "yes, I think it would be a good time of year for fishing walleyes and smallies there." Have you called any resorts or surfed the web? I'd give a call. Hopefully they can give you an honest answer on when the best time is. Good luck.

I've scheduled trips on Rainy for the past 20 years and have been there every month of the year except November and April. I've also had 3 vacations in the Ear Falls area - 2 in July and 1 in September. The best fishing and weather in both locations has been excellent in July.

I'm sure the last week of May and first week of June could have great fishing - which would depend at least in part on the weather. The weather IMHO is on the average too unstable during that time to plan a trip in advance. If it were my time and money I'd wait until July when the weather will most likely be more stable. Walleye and pike fishing on the 2 trips we took in July up there and nearly every year on Rainy was fabulous. The 1 trip in Sept. was cold and the fishing was very ordinary. In late May and early June you'll have a very good chance of rain at best and thunderstorms, cold fronts, cold rain or snow at worst.

There are lots of folks with a whole lot more experience than I have in this area reading this so please reply with your input.

Bubba,

I don't know a thing about the lake your are going to but I will give you what I got on the time of the year. Fishing should be good but the weather may be unstable. We have never gone that early but have gone the 2nd week in June many times. We have had weeks that were 45 degrees and rainy and we have had weeks that were 85 and sunny. You can never predict weather or fishing too far in advance. Go when the fishing is good and worry about the weather when you get there. The only time rain or cold bothers me is when the fishing is slow.

Thanks guys! I searched for weather "averages" for that time of year up there and the highs and lows average about 65 and 45 degrees and it's not as rainy as I had expected. I can live with that and guess I'll take my chances. Also, there are 3 of us going and that was the one week that we could all agree on...

Bubbadust-

I live here on rainy and i LOVE may fishing for walleyes. Like they said weather can be unpredictable, but i have caught LOTS of big fish on opener. I would prefer a may trip or a Sept trip. those to me are the best fishing for BIG fish. but if all you want is eaters, go in june or july. That is just my 2cents worth.