• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ice fish line?

Dano2

does ice fishing line have less stretch than the reguler stuff?

I decided to use a reel off my open water season panfish rod today, and said the heck with changing line since I was in a hurry, and it sure seemed different.

there both the same test, dia. not sure of.

Many of today's open water lines will work on the ice reels IF you are inside a heated area,but your old line has probably been battered by the sun's ultra-violet rays enough to have weakened it. That line is likely full of memory too.

The ice lines we see today are, for the most part, formulated to be more supple in the cold. Many are colored out of the water but disappear when submersed. P-line, Berkley Vanish are fine lines and are are fluorocarbon in make-up, disappearing completely when in the water.

When you are thinking about line for replacement think along these lines:

The best lines cost more;

The best lines have limited stretch;

The best lines have a greater scraping and cutting resistance; and

The best lines offer the greatest breaking strength per pound while maintaining the ever important limpness needed to fish the hyper-light jigs.

It makes no difference in all of your other tackle's quality if you shortchange yourself on the line end....it is the only link between you and the fish.

Thanks crappie tom. I know it definetly pays to pay more for the good stuff. I cant seem to convince a buddy of that though, even though he sees me catch WAYYYY more fish than him. He usually likes to use your cheapest wal-mart combo with that real thick dark blue line on it, heh, heh, oh well, each to his own and I guess as long as your still haveing fun, eh?

I agree with Tom. I use $8 noodle rods and cheaper reels. I do use the fireline ice line with vanish fluro. I use a swivel on the fireline and then make up leaders with my favorite jigs. I store them on a leader keeper. I just clip on a different one when I need to change jigs. With my eyes tying 4# fluro is best done at home under a 1000 watt bulb. tongue.gif