• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ignition problem

Ole1855

This is a question to all the mechanics out there. I have a 1994 Yamaha Big Bear, I've never had one ounce of trouble with it, until yesterday. Here's the problem, when I turn on the key, grab the brake handle and hit the starter button, nothing happens. I tried it 15-20 times then all of a sudden it worked, over the next couple of hours we tried it 20-25 times, sometimes it would start right away, other times it wouldn't. The biggest problem is, no manual start on this unit.

HELP!!!

Ole

Hey Ole...

Sounds like an intermittant electrical connection... I'm not that familiar with Yamaha, but start small and work your way around. Check all "push on" type connections for being loose and/or dirty. Check your "kill" switch. Do you have to apply the brake to start your Big Bear? If so, there may be a switch in there someplace causing problems. Look for ground points. Make sure you have a good solid ground. Hopefully it's just as simple and a loose or dirty connection. Let's start there and see what happens...

Good luck...

Thanks Moose-Hunter,

Yes I do have to pull the brake lever in order to start it. I was out on Mille Lacs with it yesterday and with the wind blowing, I didn't feel like laying on the ice in the cold. I'll try it this week when it's a little warmer. I hope you're right, maybe I can find something simple like a bad connection.

Thanks again.

Ole

Hey Ole, There should be no reason you need to pull in the brake lever to start your machine unless it's not in Neutral. Does the Neutral light come on when you first turn on the key? If so sounds more like your starter button switch could be going out. Turn the ignition on jump the starter soleniod and see if it will turn over with out holding the brake. It should turn over and start. If I'm correct you will need to remover tha fuel tank to get to the ignition switch and handle bar control plugins, Almost sounds like you have a bad neutral switch. I gonna think a little get back to ya. cool.gif

I've always had to hold the brake in whether in neutral or not. My son has the wheeler up on Mille Lacs and I talked to him yesterday and the problem hasn't happened again. I'm beginning to think that it's either a bad starter switch on the handle bar or there's a bad connection to the starter. I'm headed up to the lake tomorrow morning, I think since it's going to be a little warmer, I'll try tinkering with it while I'm there. Thanks to you guy's that have responded.

Ole