• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my yellow lab is nuts about shadows

minneman

My 15 yr old Daughter became the owner of a 8 mo old yellow lab, hes still pretty much a pup in my mind. we have had him for 3-4 mo. we dont use him to hunt, just a companion.

the dog is a normal dog during the day but come dark he is completely obsessed with shadows, he'll chase them for ever even his own. we are to the point of leaving our yard light off to see if he'll come around, nothing seems to get his attention when he's chasing them, even food. even in my shop with the lights on he'll be all over the place making a complete idot of himself. any ideas?

Is he acting defensive or scared (are his hackles up) when he chases them or is it just for fun? If its for fun, he'll outgrow it. If its defensive, you have to reassure him that its ok. Take him over, reassure him that the shadow won't hurt him. My one year old lab gets her hackles up over something she doesn't recognize, like when I put up my target deer. One trip over to it with some reassurance, now its just part of the landscape. Also, if its for fun, get him interested in something else, like a chew toy. Good luck.