• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice for Updating a Portable Fish ID

Slothin'02

Question

Hi all -

I "inherited" a portable Eagle Fish Finder from my father. He bought it in 1990, so it's a little out of date, but it would work fine in the canoe. We used it for the first time last week and found that all those years of storage had damaged the LED screen (he stored it in the garage) and other things. It marked fish, but the alarm only sounded periodically, the depth was unreadable etc. We found it to be a little unreliable and didn't really fit our needs.

Here's the question:

I'd like to get a new one, but I don't think I need to replace EVERYTHING. The connectors are fine, as are the carrying case, transducer and battery board.

Eagle has a fish finder that seems to be the same kind, just newer. Is it as simple as getting this new unit? Would it mount on the old carrying case? Would it accept the old connectors?

I'd like to avoid spending the $$ for all new stuff if I can. Can I get away with this?

Thanks for any/all replies!

2 answers to this question

the connection won't match up the depth finder company's are alway updating there connection so even if you had a 1998 model it will not match up.. you could go to there web sight and see if you can purchase the old connection for it or call them and see if still available otherwise just trash it and buy new there are some pretty good units out there that are not much money now... you probably get raked over for new connection and would be better off just buying new unit and saying good bye to old one.. hope this helps you out..

good fishing

That's what I figured I'd have to do. I've been to the HSOforum and it seems like a good idea to start over with a new unit. At least I'd have the latest technology. Could avoid problems with the "old" equiptment in the future as well.

Thanks for your input!!