• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnow Identification

erikwells

I have been trapping minnow in my pond and I have a species of minnow that I and several of my fishing buddies cannot identify. They are about 2-6 inches long, brown in color, vertical lines different shades of brown, big mouth, pointy tail and orange fins. I actually caught a minnow like this before fishing a small slough like lake a few years back. Any ideas?

I trapped some minnows with the exact same description. Kind of looked like a cross between a walleye and a perch. Someone told me they were sand perch. Sand perch as I know them, are saltwater fish. I don't believe these are fish; I believe these are minnows of some sort. They might be some sort of a dace, I'd guess.

MJ

After I posted I thought that the pointy tail was not quite right for a mudminnow.

So I looked up a few.

C_anomalum.jpg

There are a couple varieties of Stone Rollers and they are pretty common. I think they are mostly a stream minnow.

e_nigrum.jpg

Lots of different Darters in the streams around the state. Maybee something like this?

U_limi.jpg

This one is the Mudminnow.

Any of these resemble what you caught??

Dennis, number three is the winner. That's my minnow. I have some that are about 6 inches long. I just throw them back in the pond and my son loves to catch and release them as well. Are they good for bait or are they going to be for my sons C & R practice? Thanks again it was killing me.