• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teaching a dog to honor the retrieve of another?

BLACKJACK

I hunt with two labs, one seven years old and the other one year old. The young one has become a demon on the retrieves and takes it away from the older dog. If I see the old dog has the bird, if the young one is close I make the young one sit, but if they're both looking for the bird and the old one finds it, then the young one grabs it, if the young dog finds it, the old one will honor. How do I get the young one to honor?

Start working with them in the yard to ALWAYS honor each other's retrieves. Make them sit at heal while the other dog completes the retrieve, do not let them ever get the bird or bumper from the other dog. This goes for in the field too. If she breaks and steals the bird or bumper, keep letting your other dog do the retrieve until she obeys, then the next one is hers. You'll be surprised how quick she'll pick up on this.

Another thing I have trained most of my dogs to do is sit on the flush or to the whistle. If I know that the bird was rocked I'll make them sit, release one to make the retrieve and make the other sit and honor. If the bird was just pricked I'll just let them roll and find the bird.

Good luck!

Ken

Blackjack

I agree with everything labs4me said. I would emphasize his point, which was great advice, which is never never let the dog get a reward (the bird) for breaking under any circumstance. He has to be rewarded only for being steady. Finally, repetition is important. Practice, practice, practice. Also, if the dog breaks, not only should he not get a reward but don't be afraid to apply a little correction at the time, as well.

Thanks guys, I'll do some yard work. Its just not fair for the young one to get all the birds. The old dog is the kind that when shes bringing you a bird back, not only is her tail wagging, but her whole body wags! Training is never done....

I have been trying to work on the same problem. It is very frustrating to have my dog steal a retrieve. I need to do lots of yard work still. For now I am just explaining to my field partners that it may happen and I will be ready to correct as it happens. My dog is in his 6th season and till this year mostly hunted alone so it was never an issue. This year it has come up several times.