• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.270 vs .308

Stiff

I’ve generally always hunted deer with a shotgun or a muzzle loader, but recently I’ve changed hunting areas and now I have the opportunity to use a high powered rifle. I’ve used my fathers .308 to get started, but I think it’s about time to consider getting my own rifle.

I plan to use it mainly for hunting whitetails in MN and WI, but I can see that I would like to join some friends out west for antelope and / or mule deer at some point.

So, the question is: “ what should I get?”. I think I have it narrowed down to either a .308 or a .270. I’m leaning towards a Winchester M-70 featherweight, but I’m curious if others have any suggestions or recommendations. Lastly, any consideration to the barrel length? Seems like most are 24 or 26 inches, but I did see a .308 the other day with a 22 inch barrel.

What else should I be considering?? Bullet weight?? Effective range?? What else?

I've got a 308 and a 280 remington (necked down 30-06 cartridge). The later was made to compete with the 270's. There are more bullet choices to reload from in the 7mm (which is the 280). The 308 is a very accurate cartridge with lots of bullet choices also with ballistics close to a 30-06. Remington has produced some interesting variants of the 308: the 7mm-08 which has almost as good ballistics as the 280 and a 260 remington which is a 6.5mm. In reading on the internet the 6.5 X 55SE (Swedish) gun has a very good hunting reputation because of the sectional density of the bullet that causes it to penetrate deep into game. It also has a very mild kick to it and is built on a short action for bolt action rifles, so the 260 would be a nice choice for what you want also. Needless to say the 270 has taken about any kind of game there is in the West although not recommended for big bears but certainly capable for deer, elk, caribou, and moose using the proper bullets. Whatever choice you make I don't think would be a bad one. It and the 308 are very popular and you can find a lot of guns to purchase in those two calibers.

A 22 inch barrel in either caliber would give you more range than needed (300 yards). Depending on what bullet you use you may increase that range. The 270 will shoot a little flatter than the 308 but up to 300 yards the difference wouldn't be that different if you zero'd in at 200. For deer hunting in Minnesota and Wisconsin I wouldn't zero in more than 100. All of the deer I've gotton have been 100 or less, mostly around 50 yards.

The .280 (30-06 necked down to 7mm) is my choice. I've had my Browning A-bolt .280 for dozen or more years and just love it. It is certainly good enough for anything in Minnesota and I take it out West every chance I get for muleys and whitetail. I think you would be happy with the choice.

Thanks Thomas - That site is an endless source of information! Exactly what I was looking for.

FYI - to everyone, there is a bigger discussion on this topic going on in the general hunting forum.