• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Round tip ups or long

frabillfisher

I use Heritage Lakers. They are a tall wooden style. The area where I fish has a lot of wind blown snow, so the low profile ones don't work well for me.

Here is a pic of the style I use...

Heritage_tipup.JPG

I've seen them from $16-$22 depending on where and if they are pre loaded with line. They are heavier and bulkier then the round ones, but I'd lose the round ones (Polars too)where I fish.

I don't know what it is about the round ones, but I cannot catch squat on them. I have better luck with the cheapo long ones. I used to fish them side by side, rigged with the same line, etc. and the round ones sat all day. Now they stay home and are forever banned from the ice. They do keep the hole open though grin.gif.

I have found the round frabill or other types to not be as sensitve, the flag is very hard to trip and on light biting fish they dont work well or at all, but yes the hole will be open. I like to long rail type ones because they are more sensitve and eaiser to use in my opinon, but your hole will freeze unless its warm out, my uncle has found the solution to this problem-take a peice of styrofoam about an 1/2 inch thick cut a slot out maybe a 1/4 inch or less wide, in from on side to the middle of the circle, in the middle make a hole so that the rod of the tip up spool can fit through then place the rod through the slot and into the middle so that the spool is on one side and the rails on the other, then procede to use your tip up as normal and your hole will always be open. I would recomend wrapping the outer edges or the styrofoam with duct tape so that it doesnt break off and i would paint the strofoam so it stands out better, i suppose the styrofoam method could be used with a stand up tip up like Bob-d mentioned but you would have to make the hole in the styrofoam bigger. I also do like the stand up tip ups better because they are eaily visible to other people on vehicles and i think they are simpler.

RR56

I use both, the points made here I agree with. The round polar insulated ones do keep your hole open, and yes, are less sensative. The stick type are easier to work with, but your hole will ice over unless it is warm out. I learned a way around this from a technique I picked up at Gull lake fishing tournament.

chisle a small hole in the ice adjacent to your tip up hole, just enough to fit a empty soup can, connect it to your main hole just enough to allow water from your tip up hole to flow into the soup can hole. In your soup can drop a couple of already burning charcoal bricketts. This warms the water around the can, which will circulate through your hole and keep it open.

I like the round, orange Frabill tip-ups. I've never had a problem with sensitivity but I'm strickly after the biggest pike in the lake when I use them. I like to check my holes every 20-30 minutes so I guess it wouldn't matter if I used the Frabills or a regular tip-up. I do like how the frabills can all store in a 5 gallon bucket. All I need when I'm going pike fishing is my bucket of tip-ups, auger, and bait. Can't be any more simple.

I have one of each, a Bever Dam and an older round type. I havn't found that ether one gets more hits or not. However I seem t be able to set the hook better with the longer wooden tip ups. They are easy to pick up and hold with one hand. I plan to buy a couple of the HT polars after the holidays.

I tend to get lazy out on the ice... If I used the Polar Therms and knew my holes were not freezing up, I'd never get off my arse and check the flags smirk.gif. With the standard polars, I have to check them at least once an hour to clear the hole of ice and drifting snow. More than once I have discovered a baitless tip up when cleaning the holes, only to have the flag pop just minutes after rebaiting...

I do like the round tip ups. They are great for insulating your hole and keeping the light out.

I have a couple of the Frabill ones but I usually take the folding plastic kind. For me its just easier to pack them in my gear bag.

Stone Legacy makes what is called a "Freezebee" wich you put over the hole and under the tip to help insulate your hole.It does a good job keeping everything from freezing up too badly and will block any light going down the hole.It can make a difference if the fish are shying away from direct light going down the hole.

freezebee.jpg