• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Head/Shoulder Mounts Opinions

Over the weekend I shot a nice buck in Wisconsin and plan on getting a head/shoulder mount. It is a 18 pointer which has a 5 to 6 inch droptine on the left side of its head. It has really good mass but not a huge spread (probably 18inch). Just interested in which position would show off the droptine and the mass the best. I'll try to post a good picture when my aunt gets the picture to me.

Have the head turned to the right to bring the drop tine on the left more to the front - doesn't have to be turned a lot, just don't have it come straight out and don't have it turned to the left. Also, I'd have the head up instead of down to make sure the drop tine is more prominent. A good taxidermist should have ideas and options for you, plus a lot of mounts and photos for you to look at.

Either Semi-sneak or Semi-upright, they are real similar. Full-Sneak is too low and fully upright looks like a giraffe pose to me.

I don't know about the ears though. My taxidermist does that differently, on my buck last year he turned the ear on the side of the better antler back instead of straight up. Looks more natural like it is moving around to hear something rather than its a statue.

If the drop tine is out away from the head, it may show pretty decent just straight up too. Real hard to say without seeing the rack. Your taxidermist (who probably sees more racks than all of us combined) is probably going to be able to tell you what would look the best...

I agree with lawdog, full sneak is too low and also takes a bigger space to hang it. Always remember to consider the space you will be hanging it in. Don't have it turn right if it will end up looking at the wall.

DD