• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muskie Jigging

Pete Riola

Just thought you'd like to see this...

Filmed last week we hook and land a nice muskie about 42 inches. Footage is hookset to landing well worth the download. Right click and choose save target as to save or click your connection speed to watch in your video player.

Coonection 56k

http://www.fishfever.com/actionvideo/56k/muskiejigging110456.wmv

Connection hi-speed

http://www.fishfever.com/actionvideo/muskiejigging1104.wmv

What do you think?

I like it! Shows that the jigging does take some patience, and don't be afraid to slow it down. I really like the solid stick on the hookset. I need to replay that part a few more times! Hand handing is a touch of class too in my opinion.

I did not pop a fish on the jig this fall, but I do know it's the way to go. I had another big one roll on a Suick again a couple weeks ago. They still seemed to want that bait. Set the hook and the Suick came back at me, oh well. I've got ice on the mind now.

Nice video Pete, thanks for putting together!

I wanted to but I was convinced the boat landings would be frozen. I went to Coon to see how much ice was there before I trailered my boat across town...Coon boat landings were frozen so I went home to mess with my ice gear. I'm sure a guy can get on Harriet I just didn't want to mess with Harriet. How about yourself?

Same story as you, didn't get out due to the same reasons. Ended up moving some nice fish the past few weeks on 'tonka. Just couldn't close the deal. In hindsight, I needed to slow it down a bit more is what I'm thinking.....

Getting ready for ice as well. Looking at upgrading my portable, adding an ATV to the garage, all kinds of fun!

To a crawl I'd say...these fish will eat when the time is right. I work that jig like I'm fishing for a 30 pound walleye... super slow and on the bottom. I will be out this weekend! On Tonka you've got a chance at a monster the fish are super fat now.

I have had some success this past summer with jigs for muskies but many broke my line because I had no leader and if i tried using one the fish wouldnt take the bait. How can you make a leader that works good for this jigging technique?

Thanks

Bucktailsam

When I am using a jig, I either rig up with 50 or 65 pound 49 strand wire (Tyger or Surfalon) you can tie a knot and avoid the clips. I will also use 100 pound florocarbon on some rigs. I have found that the flexible leaders help and have also used the standard seven strand, looped through the jig head and crimped -- anything that doesn't have a clip. I don't like to use a clip when fishing jigs.

Early and Late season, Jigs can be a killer way to go. They also work all year long, but they don't get much use other than on cold fronts.

Good Luck!

Steve Sedesky

I've fished vertically in around 30 fow on steep drops "jigging" with bulldawg plastics and caught decent muskies and northerns.

Last year I started using teflon coated leader wire (crimped triple strand) for similar applications including a muskie "Carolina rig".

dsludge