• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

98 Dakota

Hillbiehle

Question

I have a 98 Dakota (automatic) that doesn't want to shift out of 2nd gear, but ONLY when it is cold. Eventually by letting off the gas and giving it enough time, it'll shift. After a few stop signs of this and about 10 miles or so, no more problems. Reading on the internet, it appears that this is common, but there are no answers on how to fix it. Is this just a routine maintanence issue, or are there some concerns? Why would it only do it when it is cold? Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I am not an expert, but Chrysler is famous for having not the best transmissions, this didn't stop me from buying a Dodge Ram, and now a Grand Cherokee.

I can tell you an example I had in the past with a GrandCaravan, it was doing same as your Dakota, it didn't want to shipft at all unless released gas completely, them occasionally did catch, but with just a hair of throttle.

I drained transmission fluid, changed filter, cleaned up inside very well (from what you can reach from bottom of car), filled up and car ran fine for 1 more year, no more slippage.

I believe transmission is not doing good, so you might have to put a rebuild in your budget, but trying my way will cost you only $ 30.00 or $ 40.00 and 1/2 day of labor.

If it sill will not work, then you will have to ask the experts.

I'm 99% sure that your transmition Kickdown linkage isnt working right. It may have came off of the transmition or came off the throttle body. Im a MOPAR "nut" and I also have had this happen on my challenger and my 92 Dakota. The Kickdown lever controls the amount of fluid pressure. when the kickdown rod isnt moving the lever on the transmition far enough back, your transmition "thinks" your stoped or parked, This WILL BURN UP YOUR TRANSMITION SOON IF NOT FIXED. As your rpm goes up or when you floor it your transmition also needs to be "floored" (by your kickdown lever ) to create full fluid pressure for shifting. Its Easy to check, on the drivers side of the transmition there are 2 levers one is the shifting lever and the other is the kickdown lever (kickdown lever is spring loaded so the lever moves forward when you let off the gas) If you adjust the kickdown lever to move back farther (this is done near the throttle body. it might be a cable or a solid rod that moves the transmition kickdown lever as the throttle moves ) if you adjust it too far back your transmition will reve very high before it will upshift(but you wont need to let off the throttle to make it shift, thats what happends when the lever isnt working at all)

Hope im helping you and not being over complicated for you. most likly the "rod "from to throttle fell off on the transmition end.thart what mine has done on several of my old mopars , it a 1 or 2 minute fix once you know where to look.

good luck

If you need more help of advice my email is [email protected]

Fishdog grin.gif

My son-in-law has the same problem and I had him throw a can of Seafoam Trans conditioner in and it worked fine for a year and then started again. Another can of Seafoam Trans and it has worked fine again but it's probably that time of year again when it will start acting up again. It's been a cheap fix when your kids are on a tight budget. Don't forget to siphon a pint of fluid out first, a old outboard hose bulb works good.