• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions about getting a dog

PaulB

I'm brand new at owning a dog, and I've got some questions. First, I've seen several references to having eyes and hips certified. Why is this important, are some breeds more susceptible to problems than others, are the problems genetically transmitted? Also, pondering a breed, I like labs, but worry a little that one might be too big for my smaller house. Had a springer growning up, but he seemed pretty family oriented, not too comfortable around strangers (and hated UPS trucks - barked at everyone that drove down the highway). Anyone happen to own each of these and care to give personal pros and cons for each? Planning on doing some hunting with the dog as well as him/her being a pet. Family only me and 12 year old son. Thanks for taking the time to read thru all this.

Labs come in many sizes bud. I'm a diehard lab guy so I'll admit my bias, but they are just great dogs, and like I said, a good breeder will be able to predict approximate sizes if you are looking for a small one. Mine older one is a short 65 lber. I think the five month old will be more like 80 to 90.

Eyes and hips are genetic and most of the larger breeds are in some danger of hip problems. I don't know the specifics or the science, but its worth it if you don't want to have problems to know they have good genetics. Eyes I think are an any size dog issue as far as I know...

We all have our bias when it comes to the breed of dog to own, so you will get lots of good advise on all breeds!

Especially in labs, hip dysplasia can be a problem if the breeder hasn't gone through the work of either knowing the background of the dogs and has perferably had both parents get their hips x-rayed and certified. As in the last post labs come in many sizes. We perfer our labs in the 60 -65 lb range, so you also need to do the research as to how big both parents got.

Another question to ponder, will you do more upland or waterfowl hunting or a combination of both. If you do mostly upland, maybe a dog in the pointing breeds would better suit your situation.

Another good alternative to either a lab, or springer spaniel is a Field bred english cocker. It is in the spaniel family so is a flushing dog, but the nice thing about this breed is that they range in that 30 lb. range, so is easier to have in the house. They are also very people oriented dogs and also do very well with even small children. They have all the drive and desire that a lab does. they will hunt both upland and waterfowl. They will go into thick cover as all cover is thick to them!! We own 2 of these dogs, along with labs and brittanies..and would not trade them for any amount of money. The most fun part is showing up a hunt with them, having your friends make fun of these dogs and them have them show up the big dogs.

There is a very good breeder of them in Mn. We got ours from a breeder in Iowa.

Good luck in your search for a dog!!

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was going to suggest an English Cocker, or I've been researching one of the few remaining kennels of breeders of American Cockers. Make sure you check into the breedings to be assured that they are definitley field bred as the show and pet breedings won't do you any good out in the field!

As far as Labs go... it is imperitive that you really check into the pedigree for hips, elbows and eye clearances. Not only the parents but preferably the grand-parents and great grandparents. These are hideous diseases that take many generations to "breed out" of a line. The temptation of saving money by buying a "cheap" pup from an indiscriminate breeding/(er) can be offset many times over when paying vet bills on dogs that inherit one of these conditions. Money back guarantees do not cover vet expenses or family heart-aches! My recommendation is to do a lot of research! You will be able to find a lab that suits your taste when it comes to size. The size of the parents are a good indicator, also if they have had past breedings, ask the breeder the average size that was thrown. My last dam would throw smaller females of anywhere from 45-60 lbs. with 50-55 being the average. They end up being perfect size house labs. Don't be afraid to ask breeders a lot of questions, they usually are more than obliged to answer them. Also do not rush into buying a pup, unless you are sure it is exactly what you are looking for. I've had clients wait up to a year for a certain breeding, (unfortunatley that last scenario played out for several prospective clients who I had to help find other suitable pups as that pregnancy failed). Good luck in your search... Think about what best suits your style of hunting, how much you hunt, and what your expectations are of the dog. Then interview several breeders and begin to narrow your search, it will all come together!

Good Luck!

Ken

As the other posts have said. Hip/eye/elbow certs. are important. Looking back in the pedigree for these things tells you the overall health of the dogs in the puppys history reducing the odds of you getting a dog with bad or displaysic hips/eyes/elbows. It also tells you that the breeder took his time to think about the breeding not just getting together with his buddy down the street to have a litter of puppies to make a few bucks.

I have 3 springers and they are great dogs. They are very family oriented. They love to be around people. Whether it is in the field or on the couch.

Be aware that there is a split in this breed. There is a field bred side and a bench(show) side. They are not one in the same. They are the same breed just they are breed for two different purposes. I have field bred springers. The size in a field bred springer ranges from 30#'s to 60#'s. Most are in the 35-45# range.

The best advise is to DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You will get all kinds of info on all kinds of breeds here. Once you decide the breed or at least narrow it down, call some breeders. Ask them questions and ask if you can see their dogs in person. Sounds like the dog you get will at least be indoors part of the time. Ask the potential breeder if he brings his dogs indoor and if so ask to see them indoors. Ask for references. Any breeder worth a grain of salt will be more then happy to give them to you.

Okay I am done rambling.

Brian