• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

making ice rods

76k20

I was at cabelas buying power pro ice and noticed in the bargain cave they have a bucket full of what appear to be broken rod ends, has anyone ever picked up a cork or carbon handle/seat and made an ice rod this way? some looked like some pretty nice graphite rod ends but I have never built a rod and i am unsure if the taper would be a problem or if they are damaged farther up from where they fractured. But I found handles online for 10 bucks and the rods were only a couple bucks. 15 bucks seems cheap for a nice graphite.

What do you guys think?

It would definitely work if you're just looking for something to do, but the beauty of the 'new wave' of ice rods is that a 24" rod is tapered to perform like a 6 footer. And , I'm sitting here looking at nearly $200 worth of rods (5)I bought in the off-season for less than 50 bucks.