• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Decoy ???

bieganekbaitco

Question

2 answers to this question

Mark, I've used decoys with wood and metal fins and they are attached a few different ways. If the fin is going into a slot or hole then an exterior wood glue like Elmer's Probond Exterior glue or Gorilla glue will work great. If your fins are getting attached flush with no type of joint then I would use a Devcon II 2 ton epoxy to set the fins and once the glue cures completely apply another coat around the base of the fin and body to build up a bonding area. If you have one piece tin pectoral fins trace the outline on the body and use a razor knife to cut out a relief to set the fins in. Predrill and use epoxy and a small screw to fasten.

If your painting your own decoys use the same Devcon II with a small brush to apply a very strong clear coat, keep rotating the decoy as it cures to prevent sags in the epoxy. I made a motorized jig to do this for the lures. You'll be amazed how your paint job jumps out with that top coat. It also protects your decoy from water intrusion and bites from Toothis-Interrumptis.

The above info was if you already have you decoy carved. If you make all your slots to insert fins in the block before you start carving its a whole lot easier.