• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Curled tailed Mallards

Was wondering if anyone knows for certain what causes them, have heard many different thaughts. Thaught the most was a triple but got one that had four. All were 1" to 1 1/2" up over his back. Plan to have him mounted as he was really nice colored.

I always shot mallards with curly tails its when the duck weighs like four pounds to get it mounted. I don't have any mallards mounted for that reason they all look the same to me and yoou see them every year son it has to be big and beuatiful 4 me to mount. I have shot a # of mallrds with at least four curlies and a few with even five I'm pretty sure curlies determine age. so I'm guessing the won I shot with five was an old war vet. prolly like 5 years old and some not sure what 1 curly tail equalls prolly 1 year old but I think it takes like four to get anround three nice curleys

A curly tail just indidcates a mature bird. The # of curls does not indicate age. I shot a 7 year old banded drake last year, small to medium in size and if I remember only 2 curls. You can even take and seperate the curls to make it look like more curls if you want.

Good Luck!

Ken