• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on buying a Golden

I want to buy a Golden Retriever in the near future(next spring). What is the best way to do this? I never bought a dog from a breeder.

I was told not to buy from a pet shop. Is it a good idea to buy a puppy from the newspaper?

I don't hunt much anymore. I'm looking for a good family dog and a boat partner!!! The dog will get alot of exercise.

Found out last week that my 9 Year old Huskie-Sheperd mix has Cancer(early stages) and nothing can be done and it's breaking my heart!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Brian(muskieschaef)

I got both my goldens out of the paper, and although cancer took one at 6yrs of age, I'd go the paper route again in a heartbeat. I made sure both parents of the pups were there when I went and looked at them. Although every pup is different, you will get a good idea of how they will behave when they grow up by observing the parents. Stay away from pet shops and puppy mills. You can go the route of a well known breeder, but you will end up paying more. Our first dog came from a guy in St.Paul, he owned both parents and it was his second litter. The parents were in great shape as were the puppies, you could tell he cared a great deal about the dogs, so we took the female runt of the litter.

Our second Golden came from a place out in the country, they had bred goldens for a few years, they pretty much interviewed me to see if I was acceptable to take one of their pups. Same thing my folks did when they bred huskies, so I appreciated their care for the future of the puppies. The parents had good bloodlines, in fact, I didn't find out till later but both my goldens had the same grandfather in their bloodlines even though they were 7 years apart. They also guaranteed hips and other ailments, I didn't think this was all that important with our first hound, but I'm a firm believer of it now. I've seen to many goldens with hip problems.

You'll get some more good info from the guys here.

Sorry to hear of your dogs condition, believe me, it's a heartbreaking thing to go through. I wish you luck.

I have owned, trialed, and hunted goldens for 20+ years. Whle I am not currently hunting with goldens, they make great pets and companions, so it is easy to see why you would want one for a gun dog. Having said that, I will tell you that you need to be very careful where you buy one or you will be disappointed. Hunting and field instincts have been bred out of most breedings. Only buy from a breeder that has sound field stock with a good background of dogs that have been tested and proven in trials. Expect to pay $500-$1000 for a well bred golden but over the lifespan of the dog, it will be worth every penney. A great resource is working retriever central. You will find several well bred golden litters. Talk to breeders who breed for hunting desire and the field...they will be great resources. I have pasted the link. http://www.working-retriever.com/

Best of luck.