• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable reflectors

deeky

I "inherited" an old homemade portable and plan to use it (duh). My question is on the reflectors. The law book says if it is going to be left out overnight it needs them. I do plan on being out after dark, but it won't ever be left unattended overnight. So do I need to worry about attaching reflectors to the old canvas or not? My truck will be parked next to it all the time anyway, if that matters. Thanks for the help.

Deeky

I would add them regardless if your truck will be next to it or not. Never can be too safe. If someone approaches at the right angle, they wouldn't see enough reflection from your truck.

I have been buzzed many times by snowmobiles that didn't see the house until it was too late. One actually just missed the house and hit the propane tank. The kid bailed off of the sled because he thought he was going to hit it. Truck was there, propane tank has reflective stickers on it, and portable has reflective tape on it as well. It still didn't matter.

Have heard of others being hit while in their portables as well. So just be safe and add reflective material to it so it lights up like a x-mas tree when light hits it.

I tried the reflective tape (not sure if it was 3M) and I couldn't get it to stick to my fish trap canvas. I usually fish within a few feet of my truck at first, but I have a protable to be mobile. It's harder to load it and drive the truck than it is to drag it 50 yards. I'll have to try to find the 3M stuff. I wish there was something easier to use that would stick good to canvas.

Yeah I snowmobile across lakes at night, either from going home after fishing or just out cruising around.

Some of them houses (portables) that don't have reflectors on it, its hard to see them! Even the houses that have little 2"x2" reflectors on them its tough to see until you see the actual house in view. The best idea that I like is get the reflectors that they use on Semi-trailers. (The red/white ones that are 10" long or so.) Then I immediately can tell its something that I shouldn't hit.

I have gotten close to some of the house that have little reflectors on the corners and I don't even know it until its to late. As your going by you hope no one is fishing there, otherwise you just probably [PoorWordUsage]ed them off pretty good.

The WORST is when its snowing out or just blowing snow. Because then there is so much reflection in the headlight beam the way it is its tough to see.

So I would recommend a reflector on the portable.

After having cheap reflector tape fall off, I bought some 1 1/2" x 3" oval reflectors as used on trucks. They are self-adheisive and have two holes on the edge for mounting. About $3 for a two pack. The plan was to pop rivet them on with some washers.