• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Daisy the GSP and I went out last minute yesterday afternoon at my Folks place. She pointed a woodcock and a hen pheasant. We kicked up at least 12 birds and I shot 3 roosters. Unfortunately only recovered one. I was not happy about that at all. One was a runner that skeedaddled into the neighbors cornfield and I had to call Daisy off. The other looked like it should have been down. Daisy searched until we ran out of light and then had to call her off again.

Miss Daisy is coming along. My shooting apparently needs help.

mm

Mistermom - great report...glad to see you are getting Daisy out on wild birds. Sounds like both you and I need to get together at the practice range. Last time I had Buddy out at Rick's farm Luke, Me and two other guys without a dog who joined us went 0 for 7. Buddy found 7 birds that day...they were all runners...we were letting the two boys take the first shots...by the time I could pull the trigger the birds were a long way out...still not a good excuse for going 0 for 7. Keep up the good work with Daisy!

Well I hunted opener through last wensday and my party of 3 got 9 birds, we got one bird each day but got 5 monday, we should have shot our limit but missed some easy shots, My uncle left tuesday morning after one field with his great yellow lab so the rest of that day and wensaday we had to use our old 9 year old Lab that has bad joints, hes a good hunter but can only run about 2 small fields a day or else he gets too sore, he did get up a nice rooster wensday that we dropped in the des moines river, he at 9 dove down a 6 foot bank into the mud then dove in the water to retrieve it, i thought he was going to be real sore the next day but he was fine. Hes more of a waterfowl dog now, loves it and hes the best duck hunter iv hunted with. But you feel so [commercial-or-naughty-word] bad when you leave him in the truck after using him too much already and he whines and tries to jump out the back cause he wants to go with. LOTS of second year birds out there, 4 of the 9 birds we shot were second year birds and we missed others that had such long tails they had to be second year birds too. When i was walking out to jump some ponds for ducks with our dog wensday evning i decided to put on some orange just in case, the lab kicked up this small rooster and i dropped it at 50 yards with 3 inch 2 shot. It was crippled but the dog chased it for a few minutes then came out of the cattails with it, very small like the size of a big grouse, the spurs were little bumps. It felt real good to get out in the fields again but too much corn, saw a lot of corn being cut wensday so hopefully things will pick up by holloween weekend.