• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

life styles of the cyprinus carpio?

nkambae

There are bazillions of books on bass/muskie/trout/walleye/ ad nauseum. Charting their lives and habits from the egg to maturity, spawning and beyond, location as well as food and prey items, etc. Are there any similar tomes about carp?

Sign me: eagerlyawaitingyourinput

Far and away, the finest book on carp and carp fishing I've read was a volume written by Brittish angler Kevin Maddocks, entitled "Carp Fever." I believe you can often find this title on hsolist, and likely other sites, such as Abebooks. Might be wise, too, to consider some of his other titles, including "In Pursuit of Carp and Catfish."

Kevin's a legendary English angler, which means the tactics chiefly apply to European waters. But this also means that his insights are lightyears ahead of anything else North American carp anglers have thought of to date. To mention Kevin Maddocks among European anglers is to invoke names such as A.J. McClane or Al Lindner among North Americans.

Maddocks' books offer delightful reading, in addition to the wonderful information they convey. Nothing in North American circles yet holds a candle to Maddocks, relative to carp.

-a friend,

Cory Schmidt

Thanks again. It was a bit tough to find as it is out of print. I did find a copy through 'Abe Books' in the U.K. After that purchase, I went and bought a copy of 'Carp on the Fly' through Amazon.

I've been having some success in targeting the 'golden sided salmon' but I am interested in learning more about their habits and biology to increase the number of large fish hooked.

I am looking forward to others responding as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge in this forum.

Ah yes, "Carp on the Fly." Useful little book. Used to fish with the author every now and then. Flyfishing's a great way to tempt difficult carp, and carp that roam shallow flats. Playing a 20 to 30-pound behemoth on a 5-weight is something every angler should try. cool.gif

-a friend,

Cory Schmidt