• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marinade

merc

We were lucky to get a moose license this year and even luckier to actually get a nice bull. Now my question is does anyone have a good marinade I can do to the round steaks as they are a little, maybe more than a little tough? It taste great but I would think to marinade a little it would be much better. Thanks!!!

I've never had Moose, is it similar to beef? If so, I would be tempted to cook the tougher cuts with a style similar to the way you would cook a beef round steak. Maybe make swiss steak with it? The meat would cook for a long time and this would help tenderize it. You would also end up with a sauce you could top the steak with and maybe serve it with some mashed spuds. If you'd like to try that let me know and I'll dig up my recipe.

Nick

Bart, moose tastes very close to beef, even better in my opinion and no fat, what a deal. Don't go out of your way but if you do find the recipe I would appreciate it. Either way thanks!!!

Well, I think I can do this about from memory, I've done it enough times:

Cut steak into serving size pieces. In a bowl combine 6 tblsp flour with 1 tsp dry mustard, 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Spread half of this mixture over one side of the steaks and pound in with a mallet or with the edge of a heavy bowl or cup. Turn the steaks over and repeat.

In a large heavy skillet heat 3 tblsp of shortning. Thinly slice a medium to large yellow onion and add slices to the oil. Cook until soft and translucent. Remove the onion and add the meat. Brown well on both sides.

After the meat is browned add the following:

2 cloves chopped garlic

1 lg can stewed tomatoes

1 stalk of chopped celery (this should be 1 RIB of celery as was pointed out in another post - oops)

And the onion previously cooked

Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.

Seed and thinly slice one green pepper. Spread slices over top of steak and cook for 1/2 hour more or until meat is tender.

If you want to thicken the sauce, remove the steak when done and mix in a roux. Just remember the roux should be cooled since you are mixing it with a hot liquid or you won't get the full thickening effect.

I always like to serve this with mashed potatoes. Reminds me of the meals mom used to make.

Nick

Here's one that's really good on tougher cuts.

Take a fork and poke teh steaks several times. Put steaks in a ziplock baggie. Take a bottle of Italian dressing and pour into the bag. Work the bag so the steaks are coated in the dressing. Put in frig and let sit overnight. Cook and way you'd like. The vinegar in the dressing breaks down the fibers in the meat and really tenderizes it. The Italian seasons add a nice flavor as well.

Borch

I usually make a roux by heating 1/4 cup of veg oil in a saute pan and then slowly stirring in 1/4 cup of flour. Combine and heat the 2 ingredients until it is a smooth consistancy and the color of peanut butter. This can be used to thicken sauces. If you are trying to thicken a cold liquid you would use a warm roux added to the liquid then bring it to a boil. For the recipe I posted above you would want the roux to have been cooled before adding it to the hot liquid. Just bring the liquid to a boil, and start stirring in the roux a little at a time till the sauce is the consistancy you are looking for. Always remember: for best results use a cooled roux with a hot liquid and a warm roux with a cold liquid.

Nick

Has anyone used flour & milk or corn starch & water at their thickener? I'm just wondering if either of these or the previously mentioned 'roux' is better. By better I mean either the mixture thickens better without lumping or it just tastes better. I'm a bit concerned about the extra oil in the previously mentioned 'roux'.

I was camping about two months ago and we grilled some scrumptous deer steaks. We marinaded them in some Burbon BBQ sauce and some beer. MMMM those were so good. Nice and soft too. Just melted in your mouth. I'm looking forward to some more of those tasty steaks. I better get a deer next weekend if I want some though! grin.gif

G-man, you make a good point. I was thinking that since we are already using some oil we could do things in a different order and get the same result. Try it this way:

Put the 3 tblsp of oil or shortning in a med. hot large deep skillet.

Brown the steaks then set them aside.

Add the onion and celery to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes.

Add the garlic and saute for another minute.

Then stir in about 3 tablespoons of flour and cook for a couple minutes till its fully incorporated into the mixture.

Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil.

Add the steaks, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook.

Then follow the rest of the recipe as posted.

The difference between using a "roux" and just mixing milk and flour is that the roux will have a lot of the starchy taste cooked out of the flour (and you won't have the lumps to worry about).

You could also use the slurry (corn starch and cold water) at the end but you will introduce the starchy flavor into the sauce I think.

Nick