• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rubber coated U-bolts for attaching accessories.

BuckslayerBob

Does anybody use that rubber coating on u-bolts before mounting accessories to their atv racks? I'm going to try this when I mount my gun scabbard this weekend. A can of the stuff is 8.50 at the hardware store.

I'm wondering if anybody else has used it and wonder how well it works. I'd like to know if the coating will stand up after the bolts being tightened. I just can't stand how uncoated u-bolts bite into the paint on the rack or handlebars and cause rust abound.

HI Bob,

I've used that stuff on bungee hooks before. Works ok. A cheaper way is to get some rubber tubing, the size diameter appropriate to the u-bolt diameter. Slit the tubing down its length and place that over the u-bolt. Maybe you could even slide the tubing down the u-bolt and into place without slitting it; depending if they're rounded or square u-bolts.

Bob -

Spray on rubber coating takes a lot of coats to build up thickness, but it holds up pretty well. If you get the can of stuff you dip the part in it seems to build up faster. Or try some heat shrink tubing. Or both.

later

River

Hi Bob...

I've used all the methods listed here at one time or another. All have worked to some degree. The best I have found is the rubber "tool dip". I've used that on almost all of my ATV goodies that needed covering. Paint will chip off, but this stuff wears like iron!! From aux. light brackets to tow hooks and cables. Highly recommended!!!

Be aware, that stuff is a bit tricky to work with in it's factory state. Read the can and thin it down a bit. Your pieces may require a second coat, but it won't turn all lumpy on ya. Also, that goo doesn't like the cold. 70* or better is where I've had my best luck. Have fun and be prepared for a bit of a mess... ooo.gif

700 front quarter.jpg

Hold on.... Here's a close up of the coated light brackets...

light brackets.jpg

Hi Moose Hunter! Nice rig! I went with Dave's idea that was posted last night and picked up some windshield washer hose this morning at the hardware store. It fits the bolt pretty good. I really had my heart set on the rubber that you dip into. Since you gave a good testimonial on the rubber dip, I will definitely keep that stuff in mind for my other accessories. The chunk of hose I picked up today I'll probably just use for the u-bolts for my gun scabbard. I liked how your light brackets turned out. Thanks for your input!

Hi moose, Nice tires are they Itp's how is the ride, I have to replace my tires on my 660 griz, alot of guys like that tire, what size did you buy and how was the price? Bob your treating that new ATV, like its a new baby, good job, Ill have to let you work on mine. grin.gif

Fishnutbob, My brother has a 660 Griz and uses dirt devils mounted on ITP c-series wheels. He is using the 26". He says he would never even think of buying anything different when the need arises again. I guess that means he likes them. I use the Titan 589's, on my Rincon, they are heavy but give good traction and a fairly ok ride.

My wheels and tires are a complete ITP set up from Lester ATV located in Ohio. Best pricing I have found yet. And believe me, I've looked!!! Both my new rides have "C" series, Type-5 wheels with ITP 589 tires. I went with a 27" set for my 700 (with a 2" front lift kit) and a 26" set for my 500HO (with swapped in 700 springs) The front suspension mods were necessary for both machines to give them proper tire to fender clearance and to add preload to a too soft front end. Besides, the leveled out look gives them a whole new attitude!! cool.gif Total cost to mod both bikes... About $100.00.

At slow speeds, on hard surfaces, the large lugs of the 589's tend to "vibrate" a bit. Not real bad, but they are a bit "lumpy". But once up to speed (10+mph) on on soft surfaces, they ride just fine.

Traction in the mud is unreal!!! I've actually tried to get stuck and have yet to need a tow.

700 carb mud pic (2).jpg

I've not used them in the snow yet, and I fear they may just be diggers. Possibly getting down to bare ice if ANY wheel spin happens. I guess we'll see, but when you think about it, nothing beats a good set of V-Bar chains...

Hope this helped...

Here I was trying to keep my rack all nice and new and I end up wearing down the paint on the front rack because of a stupid bungie cord that was attached to the rack and a cover on my dad's atv that he made us put on. We got 15 miles down the road and stopped for gas, so I checked out the load and found what the bungie cord did.

There's a spot about 2 inches long by 1 and a half inches wide, wore down to the bare metal. Should I just touch it up with some high gloss black spray paint? Should I prime the spot first? Or am I doomed to a rusty front rack now?

Thanks folks for the nice words... This is my first "real" ATV and (if I say so myself) I think it's turning out rather well. With my custom auger rack, trailer hitch and a new Otter, I'm good to go for the ice!! But I may just have to drag a deer of two with it first... grin.gif

The winch is a Warn 2.5 (2500lbs) that came with the machine. I got it as part of the "hunter package" deal this spring. With a snatch block it'll give you close to 5k of pulling power. At a cost, much less than the 3.0 (3000lbs) model. The brush guard is a Pure Polaris part available at your local Polaris dealer. And for the rear, a double tube rear bumper really rounds off the package. Also a Polaris part.

For all you parts needs, try South St. Paul Hitching Post. Brian, in parts will set you up right!!

(Did I say that right, sledhead? grin.gif )