• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Socks?

Question

Doing a little research on Drift Socks. What is the best Drift Sock and what are the different features between brands?

4 answers to this question

I like Cabelas brand the best. My buddy has this one and I've used it several times.

I own a Sea Anchor, I believe, and I don't like it. It constantly tangles up and just yesterday the lead weight fell out of it. It's too flimsy and expensive for what I got..

willy14-

Most socks work the same and you can spend as little as $30 or as much as $80 on a sock. Select a sock that is large enough (if not larger ) for your boat and make sure the sock incorporates a float and a weight. I have used many socks in the last 6 years and the wave tamer is the brand I am using now. They are a little more expensive but worth it!

I've owned several brands and I prefer the Cabela's brand the best, although I don't use the aluminum hoop that comes with it, it's too cumbersome. I also bought one that is rated for a 18-21' boat, I have a 16' boat, I find it works better. One other thing I've done is tie a couple of duck decoy weights onto the end of the cone, it sinks into the water and opens quicker that way.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 05-19-2003).]

I use a Magnum Drift Control Sea anchor.

But I havent used it yet to drift, I use it trolling. I have a 1760 Tuffy with a 75 Merc tiller and the drift sock was much cheaper then a kicker.
With the 75hp I can troll down to about 1.2mph with the drift sock I can say still if i want to.
Works great 3-waying and handlining just clip it to the front ring on the boat and stays in the center of the boat not even close to tangleing in the motor.

www.driftcontrol.com

-------------
RiverTown Guiding
Mississippi River Pools 3-4
http://www.geocities.com/wish_i_was_fishing2002