• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vexilar for lake trout

I just got a vexilar not to long ago - never used in in open water. My guess is it would work decent for locating baitfish and slow fishing lakers. Wondering if any folks have insight in this and what type of transducer style would work best (ie larger degree or not)?

I used my vexliar last summer on a run-a-bout and it worked just fine for marking fish. I did not use it for Lakers, but it marked Walleye and Crappie well. You can purchase a "high speed transducer" for your Vexliar anywhere that Vexilars are sold. I mounted the locator head on the dash with the bracket included in the kit. The transducer comes with all of the hardware you need for a traditional mount aft below the transom. However, if you are using a fiberglass boat you can mount it in silicone inside on the bottom of the hull and it will read through the fiberglass. Instructions are included for both types of mounts. The transducer is about $70.00, at least last summer.

No I didn't use LCD with it, just the regular flasher head. Once the gain was set I had no interference what so ever. I was initially a little concerned about electircal interference from the motor, but I had no such trouble. It actually performed very well. I was very pleased with it.

Catch'em all,

Rick