• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spirit lake, okoboji area ????

I'm from the Twin Cities, my family is looking to meet my brother's family, from NE in this area sometime this fall. a long weekend probably.

Can anybody recommend a resort or motel? Not the real expensive resorts but the clean family type places which are somewhat reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance, good fishin

Last year ice fishing I stayed a couple of places. I stayed at 4Seasons and liked it a lot. It was right on the lake, had 2 beds, a fridge, tv, and microwave, with deck on the edge of the lake. The room itself wasnt that big or nice, but gave me what I wanted. I also stayed at Crescent Beach, which was really nice. Big room with a kitchen in it, nice bed, couch, microwave, tv, fridge, etc. Was more expensive, but nicer as well. This is also on the lake. Dont know what summer rates run on these as I stayed at both during reduced rate ice fishing times.

goody

Triggs BAy Resort is on East Okoboji and there is a lighted ramp just across the street. They also have dock spaces for their clients. I am unsure about the other resorts and their locations but I do know that there is not a boat cannal between Spirit and the other lakes. That's why I mentioned Triggs with the ramp close by. Late fall should be an excellent time to do some fishing. The number and adress are listed in the link one of the others posted. Good luck

Okoboji is deep and cold (138 max) where Spirit is shallow(22 ft max) From Okiboji you can access East Okoboji which is shallower and easier to fish. If interested in staying at a Bible camp let me know it is very cheap and I will be there the 22-24 of Oct. Post your Email and I can get you hooked up!

Lundluvr is right. If you feel you have a certain preference in structure this area can most likely fit the bill. I like Spirit the most because I like to troll plugs and spinner rigs. Spirit has nice weedlines and many rock/gravel areas. As mentioned above though, there are a ton of little walleyes in Spirit(anything under 14") The fall is always a good time to be on the water, your chances are deffinitely going to be better at a nice fish.

There are two resorts on Spirit. Sand Bar Beach on Anglers Bay and Vergies at the south end. Fishin report. My partner and myself fished from 9-3 on Sunday with 7 fish total. We had 4 of those fish on all at one time with 2 small walleyes and 2 smallies. One smallie was 19" and made a mess of the other three lines. We have caught nearly 200 walleyes in 4 trips with just 2 keepers.

I'll be up there in about a month. late fall is my favorite time to fish all year.

most a the guys go huntin, the pleasure boaters are gone, the fish are puttin on the feed bag and ya got the lake to your self. life is good!

I'm pretty much a bass fisherman. I'll stay in touch for reports.

I just got the boat ready for a trip tomorrow. prefishin a club tourney at Clearwater Lake which is between the Twin Cities and St Cloud. About 4000 acres w tons a structure! Very popular but heavy recreational use, I hope it stays cool and cloudy.

Not many jet ski's out there a sunrise thank God

Good Fishin, go Cyclones

beeflover,

Just heard a report this AM that there's a good panfish bite going on near the north end of west lake. Nice perch and bluegills the way it sounds. Also heard that Spirit is in a bit of a lull now, but we've got to be very near the annual fall perch bite on Spirit. We're going up sometime this weekend and will probably try Spirit. When the perch turn on the kids have a ball!

If you're looking for smallies we got into some really nice fish near a place called Cottonwood point earlier this summer. Follow the point across from Big Stoney and they can be scattered all along there. Walleyes can be found literally anywhere in the lake...including right out in the middle of the basin in 21-22 feet. Good luck!

NWBuck

Spent a few days up at Spirit over the Holiday. We left Tues. night and stayed through Sun. The fishing was tough. Perch are on the down swing right now at Spirit. I think we ended up with just 12 total. LOTS of short eyes I would say the whole time on the water around 30-40 total. We managed just 3 keepers 19,20,& 22 incher.

Had a good friend Ryan Hale give me a fishing lesson Sat. afternoon on the finer points of using leadcore great guy!! We put the 19 incher in the boat. My father had the best luck. He and I went out pulling cranks on boards. He caught the largest walleye he's ever caught the 22 incher. We also hooked into a 36 inch muskie that was the largest fish he has ever caught. So dad has some pictures he can show all his buddys! Mom on the other hand is now hooked on pulling planer boards. She caught the 20 incher and said she could spend all day doing that.

The weather wasn't the best lots of wind sat. & sun. so that made it a bit tough. All and all it was a pretty good trip hope to do it again soon.

Thanks again Ryan!

Todd

Iowa Boy, we saw you out there with the planers. Should have bragged a bit more about that musky!! Good for you.
We talked to a guy from se Iowa who went out on emerson bay, on Okoboji & got 26 perch & 1 smallie. We should have checked that out. Next time.
Char

Char..I'm not a big muskie guy it just happened to be hungry. My dad and a friend of his fished West Fri. My dad's friend caught a 32 incher over there. If it would have been a 30= lber I would have bragged it up a bit more.