• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Red Rock

I am heading down to Pella at the end of August for a camping trip. Are there any good walleye lakes or wonderful fisheries in the area? We are staying by lake Red Rock and will be fishing day and night. Is this a pretty good walleye lake or small mouth bass lake? If anyone could give me some info that would be great. Just primarily looking to catch a lot of fish.

Walleyefey,
I'm going to post a link at the end of this message for the fishing in Iowa. My choice would be Rathbun this time of year. This lake will be southeast of Redrock. IMHO Rathbun is a better walleye lake this time of year and can produce a mid-day, summer bite that leaves walleye fisherman puzzeled. The link will have Iowa fishing reports in the top right corner. Redrock is under the southwest section and Rathbun is under the southeast. Two others to consider are Three Mile and Twelve Mile lakes which are listed under the southwest section as well.
Good luck and here is the link
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=SPORTS10

abens

As far as the Red Rock walleye bite goes, it is tough. I fish it quite a bit and consider myself a decent walleye fisherman and cant figure them out. The big waters like that and Saylorville are just plain tough. The river below Red Rock is pretty consistent with many fish coming out of there. In that area there isnt much of anything for eyes, sorry to say. Good luck and have fun!

goody

Thank you very much for the info, much appreciated! Sounds like the walleye fishing isnt as good as I had hoped. How about smallmouth bass? This type of fish sparks a big interest of mine. If I could fish for smallies that we be awesome. Any info?

Never fished it for smallies, but my input from what I know and have heard is about the same as for eyes. Your best bet is the river above or below, but there are some fish caught on the main lake if you can track them down. Maybe a basser can help you more.

goody