• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

muskrats?

Wondering about some techniques to catch some 'rats. My folks bought a place on a lake and the shore is really dug up from them. I don't recall what or if there is a season, but during the winter they seem to move down the shoreline to a bridge (the water stay open most of the time there). I'm not sure if I can get access to that land. Any suggestions of how to get at them without digging up the shoreline if possible.

By the way my trapping experience is limited to catching squirrels and rabbits with live traps as a kid.

Couple ways come to mind if thay are digging burrows in the bank take some 110 conibears and set them in the runways leading to thier burrows. They may be digging feeding shelves, then just take a #1 pan trap bed it just under the water where they have been coming and going. It might be easier to find someone in the area who traps, and have them do it? Hope this helps.
GRIZ

First off the season is closed right now. You need a permit from the DNR to take care of them on your own. Or find a trapper with a permit who runs an animal control business. Which I recomened you do. If you insist on doing it on your own. Buy the 110 conibears at Fleet Farm find where the rats are going into the bank. Stabalize the trap in front of the hole with a piece of lathe, it works well, and wire the chain to the lathe. If you want you can put bait on the trigger like a small carrot. Do this before setting the trap.

I personally recomend you find a trapper in your area. Call the DNR and they will put you in touch with one. Since you have no expereince trapping. You may lose the animal and trap. And by whatever means dont use the foothold trap if you dont know how to rig a drowning set. Most likely the rat will twist out lose its foot, and make trappers look bad.

Thanks, I'm confident in being able to trap them myself...I'll have to check with the DNR then to get th eok if they return this summer. I'm comfortable using the traps, I also used to trap gophers a lot, for got to mention it in my last post. Thanks for the tips, I like what I hear.