• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone have a 270WSM or 7mm WSM rifle?

Nels

I am currently in the market for a new rifle, and I am thinking of one in WSM.
I have looked at several of the popular rifles by Browning, Winchester, Tikka, Savage and Ruger.

Does anyone own any of these guns (especially in the calibers above?)and can let me know what you think of them?
The Tikka seems to have the smoothest operating bolt, but I am not real happy with the 2position safety.

Also, Has anyone used one of the above calibers for moose hunting?

Thanks,
Nels

Just my 2 cents. I think any one of these are good calibers for moose. I hunt moose every year and for years all i used for moose was a 270 Win. and a 7mm rem mag. I still have my 270 and now my latest rifle is a 300 WSM. I got a nice bull back in October with the 300 WSM and still needed 2 shots to bring him down with both shots in the lungs but he only went 20 yards before falling. I watched my dad shoot his biggest bull with his 270 and it tried to run but just kind of lunged forward and fell just a few feet from where it was standing. That one had a spread of 56 inches. From what i understand that these new WSM caliber have a little more behind them and from experience I'd say either caliber would be good for moose. Hope this helps and hope i didnt stir anything up out there. Brian

I use a .7mm rem mag now and got a bear with it this year. It went 15 yards. My relatives hunt moose(elk they call them)in Norway every season and they use 30-06 150 grain exclusively. They are relatively close range when using the dogs for most of them. , inside 150 yards.

I'm in the market for a new rifle in 7mm as well, and from what I can tell, any improvement in ballistics are minimal. They're a bit better for the .270 WSM than the 7mm WSM, but the biggest thing you're gaining is less distance in terms of bolt travel. That doesn't mean too much to me.

My worry with the entire WSM line, is that in a few years, our infatuations will be focused elsewhere, and finding shells for them will be a mail order affair....or at least a special trip. If you reload, that's less of a problem, but then finding options for bullets and components might be the issue.

The 7mm Rem. Mag will be around in 20 years, and I'll go out on a limb and predict that you won't have too much of a problem finding shells for it in the future.

MN DNR stated in the required moose info. seminar that the .270 is a bit lean, and I believe it after watching footage of several being taken, but I'm sure a well placed bullet would do the job. The 7mm was not only deemed sufficient, it was recommended. Use the bigger bullet and I think it'd do the trick.

Good luck on the moose hunt.

Joel