• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goldeye vs. My Rod

LEECH21

Was out on the Minnesota River on Sunday afternoon. I was using a sliding egg sinker with a split shot, a live bait hook, a float to keep the bait off the bottom, and a crawler. I had my rod proped up on a "Y" stick when all of the sudden I saw my rod being pulled unto the river. I dove for my rod, caught it, and imediately set the hook. As soon as I set the hook the fish shot out of the water about 2 feet, higher than any bass I've caught. The fight was pretty good, but managed to pull in the biggest goldeye I've ever caught or seen. These fish are like freshwater tarpon! And they strike like no other fish in Minnesota.

------------------

<*)))))))><{

Good save man,
I was on a public dock a few years ago using the same rig and a sheephead decided to see if I was paying attention. The pole took off and so did I. I dove in and saved the pole and the fish. I got some pretty funny looks as I stood waste deep in the lake while reeling in the fish. Now I use baitcasters with 'clickers' as swiming isn't my best tallent. Didn't think I would need a life jacket while fishing on the dock. wink.gif