• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

winter suckers

I was fishing for a meal on a local lake last week using a small hook and a corn kernal and I hooked into something that really gave my ultra light a work out. I ended up landing a sucker. Has anyone else ever caught a sucker in the winter? Does anybody know how I could target them in the winter? Do they follow any particular patterns; are they very active in the winter? Any information would be greatly appreciated as I would like to go out and try to land a few.

I live in SE Minnesota and have often caught suckers in the winter. I grew up fishing the small rivers around Rochester and in order to get a fishing fix, you pretty much had to target carp/suckers/chubs. Suckers bit well in winter but you have to change where you typically look for them. You won't find them in the faster waters like in Spring and Summer, you've got to find the deeper, slow moving holes, preferably with a sand bottom. I've often caught suckers when winter fishing trout. Drifting a nightcrawler through a hole could produce a trout or a sucker. Hope this helps!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)