• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ruffians - I need some info, please....

Aquaman01

Like my other post indicates - I'm organizing a rough-tourney this summer. The locations will be fairly Metro - I don't think there will be any Mississipi River locations above the dredged channel.

My question - I figure folks will load up on carp, sheepshead and maybe some suckers. I want to have some 'bonus species' like bowfin, that are realistically attainable, but not an average catch. Any suggestions? The dates are May, June, July & August.

Thanks -
Rob

Rob,

Still think it might be fun to sort of pattern your tournaments around European Match-style fishing. Maybe allow all species, as the winner simply bags the largest overall weight of fish, constrained only by possession limits and size restrictions. (Most "rough" fish aren't assigned limits.) Or just allow all fish except those undesireables wink.gif such as walleye, pike, bass, panfish and muskie.

Several of these types of events occur in Chicago along portions of Lake Michigan and tributaries, as well as near the Detroit River in Windsor, Ontario. These are places full of pike, bass and walleye also, but since they're shore fishing events, participants know their best chance at big weight means bottom rigging things like maggots, angleworms, etc.-- targeting fish both small (abundant) and large alike. That usually means carp and cats, but also goldfish, suckers, chubs, etc.

In true Match competition, anglers draw randomly a "beat" or "peg," which is simply a spot along shore, measured in defined distances. Sometimes, anglers rotate beats after a given amount of time.

The best match anglers, guys like Mick Thill, for example, have become so adept that they can literally land, remove, and creel a fish while instantaneously recasting within seconds. It's really quite something to watch. In one of his videos, Mick actually catches something like 30 fish (bluegills) in less than 60 seconds. Ridiculous, but true. Anyway, the point is, Match competition is a super fun (and fun to watch) way to do a tournament-- and they're increasing in popularity across America.

Caught fish simply go into a large tubular "keep sack" that's fashioned of nylon or cotton mesh held up by a series of plastic rings. They're similar to fish baskets, except larger and stand on their side in the water. Fish remain fresh and lively for later release in these things. (I believe companies like Frabill now make a version.) At the end of the Match, anglers weigh their fish in total, then return them to the water in fine shape.

So, that's my input-- some of this might work for your RATS idea, or maybe none of it will. But you still might wanna take time to run a search on "Match Fishing," or "European Match Fishing" on the internet. Interesting perspective on the sport if nothing else. Good luck. Hopefully I can even make it over to one of these this year!

-a friend called Toad

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-12-2004).]

Well, beyond the 15 species of suckers (golden redhorse, silver redhorse, greater redhorse, river redhorse, white sucker, blue sucker, quillback carpsucker, highfin carpsucker, river carpsucker, smallmouth buffalo, bigmouth buffalo, black buffalo, and northern hog sucker), you've got mooneye, goldeye, 3 types of bullheads, freshwater drum, bowfin, longnose and shortnose gar, white bass, and american eels. Depending on what part of the watershed there a couple of others that could crop up. If you are serious about running a roughfish tournament please realize that ALL endangered and threatened species cannot be kept, even if released later. There are several to worry about, notably the blue sucker, the black buffalo, and the greater redhorse, all of which carry a hefty fine for possession. As the tournament organizer, you need to be able to identify these fish. There is identification info at roughfish-dot-com if you need it. We'll be happy to help.