• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smokin'!

Got bored casting for inactive Northern (the rule is, don't fish for what you can see, it'll just make you mad) and accidentally had a carp suck in my kernel of corn while I was taunting sunnies. My dismay at having to take the fish was only compounded by not knowing what to do with it. Since they sell Smoked Carp at Byerly's, I was wondering if anyone does this regularly and had any tips, especially what/which (easily available) wood imparts the best flavor. Also, is there anything else that can be done with the meat, with the exception of a stew? Fish Stew is a truly nasty concoction.

fp

There was an interesting article in last week's Strib about a food shelve looking for ways to prepare donated ground carp:

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4163332.html

This was considered the best recipe:

RECIPE

Cheddar carp quiche

Shell: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon salt 3 tablespoons shortening 1/4 cup milk

Filling:

1 pound ground carp

1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

3 eggs, beaten

1 1/4 cups milk

Brown ground fish in a small amount of oil, drain and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the flour, salt; cut in shortening till crumbly. Stir in milk. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 10-inch circle. Transfer to an ungreased deep-dish pie plate or quiche dish. Trim and flute edges. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

In a bowl, combine browned fish, cheese, green pepper, onion, flour, salt and pepper; spoon into crust. Combine the eggs and milk, pour over fish mixture. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Yield: 6 servings.

I appreciate the attempt to help but Quiche ranks right up there Fish Stew... : )

Donated Carp? Since when did food shelves take perishable food?

fp

Maybe I should read the article....

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

Because until I read the "What's so good about a carp" thread, I thought you couldn't return a carp to the water, since it was a rough fish. Now, though, I've read the regs more carefully.

fp

Also, he was injured on both sides from going over/trying to go up the falls. I figured he wasn't going to make it anyway.

FP
fair enough. Things like that hapen and if you guys want to eat carp thats fine by me. I'm allergic to eating fish so that stuff doesn't figure with me.

Slightly concerned that you're fishing somewhere that retrieving fish could harm them though, regardless of the species.

It is completely legal to return carp to the water. And some of the "rough fish" like the black buffalo (which looks almost exactly like a carp) are an threatened native species which is illegal to kill. Not a problem in that lake of course ... almost all the natives are extinct there already.

When I originally posted that thread, I was unclear about the ability to release any fish you wanted back into the water. I was always told that some fish could not be returned to the water. Now, though, you can do so, unless the fish is obviously injured. In this case, the fish was, though it would probably have survived. They were just flesh wounds in the meat from going over / attempting to go up the falls.

fp

Could you return Round Goby to the water?

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

You're not supposed to return round gobies to the water. It is illegal to possess them alive or transport them, except to bring a dead specimen to the DNR to confirm infestation.

[This message has been edited by Roughfisher (edited 12-22-2003).]