• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Paddlefish/Sturgeon?

Hi.
I'm real curious about these species, especially in the upper Mississippi. I don't intend to angle for them, but I'm curious if anyone has seen/caught/encountered any of these around these parts.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I don't think you'll find those species above the Ford Dam/Pool 2, but I've seen both the lake sturgeon & the much smaller shovelnose caught below the dam at Red Wing. I have some friends who've caught some shovelnose on the MN River while catfishing. I haven't caught one yet myself, but I think they are fairly common. I'd like to add those to my species list. A few paddlefish are caught on the Mississippi every year too. Most are likely snagged. I've done some lake sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River & it's a blast! Very cool fish. If you're interested in catching them, plan a trip to the Rainy. The season is open & they should be biting pretty good right now. I'd like to give them a try on the St. Croix this fall when they open that short season. Vern

It's illegal to fish for paddlefish in Minnesota, as they are an endangered species. Any paddlefish accidently caught MUST be released to the water immediately.

Sturgeon is almost the same way; the season is only open for like a month, with a seasonal limit of one, and that is only on certian places on the St. Croix and other border waters.

From what I understand in states that do allow "fishing" for paddlefish, it's this: Paddlefish strain plankton much like whales. Thus the only way to catch them is by snagging. There are a few states who allow this. I don't likely agree with it as they are atleast a Threatened species, if not endangered depeneding on where in the US you are talking about. Plus the fact there is no real legitimate way to catch them, other than snagging.