• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carp that wont bite

Yesterday i went fishing at a little pond/creek and saw about a dozen carp sitting on the bottom(in one place about 5'by 5'). I threw corn at them and some berkley power bait but they wouldnt budge. They wouldnt even look at the stuff(the sun fish did though, stupid things kept taking my bait). I was wondering what they were doing and why they wernt bitin and any ideas on how to make them bite. Thanks to all.

muskieboy46

Don't bother fishing for those, get out the spear or bow! I see this every time I go fishing in the summer, and have never gotten one of those fish to bite. I think they are just warming themselves in the shallows, but the active fish won't be with them.

hi - science time
carp in that state are basically oxygen deprived, as heat on water reduces the oxygen levels so they are saving their energy purely for breathing and won't feed. At least that's what it says in my 'Boys Book of Carp Facts'!!!

I have also noticed that carp in shallow water will often ignore anything that is thrown on the bottom, but will be hitting stuff on the surface instead. Try fishing weightless with a french fry. Another idea would be flyfishing or using a floating worm harness to hook together a piece of non-balled up bread (put most of the hooks through a piece of crust.