• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Need Some Suckers!!

Dirk W

I want to catch a BUNCH of suckers so I can vacuum seal them and have enough for a summers worth of cat fishing. Any body have a can't miss sucker hole they'd be willing to share?? I'm from Hastings and will travel a fair distance. For the life of me I cant figure out how to catch them consistently on the Mississippi. Drums, yes. Suckers, no. All my spots I have now are sorta hit and miss. Thanks.

My favorite sucker fishing hotspot is below the dam in Oronoco. That's a small town about six miles North of Rochester. Best sucker fishing I know. Other than that, pick any other branch of the Zumbro and find a hole. There'll be suckers in it for sure.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I used to live in Cottage Grove and Prescott has always been a good place to catch suckers. They are mainly redhorse though but I've used them for cats and it seems to work just fine. You can catch them right off the shore at the park on the MN side or walk to the point where the Miss and St. Croix meet. Within a week here May 3rd the St. Croix will be open for walleyes, so using half a nightcrawler on bottom might get some nice walleyes too.

Good luck

the suckers are starting to run up here in Bemidji, so if you have a chance you should come up here and get some.

------------------
"America is our team, and if you aren't gonna root for your team, then you should get the he!! out of the stadium."

~Southpark

Dirk....now if you really wanted to drive a few miles out of your way....the DNR is selling suckers up here on lake vermillion(pike river hatchery) while they are stripping walleyes(eggs for the hatchery)...100 pounds of suckers for $5.00...that's alot bang for your buck!...i'm pretty sure they are still trapping and or netting the suckers this week

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Any certain areas around Prescott area better than others? I may give it a shot tomorrow after work. May be relatively peaceful with the MN opener on Sat.

When you're on HWY10 going towards Prescott, there is a park just before the bridge, take a left into the park. Then walk towards the bridge. Usually there will be tons of people fishing the pier rally but I usually just fish off to the side anywhere you have a spot to cast. The closer you get to the pier the better the walleye action is, but will be more crowded and all those people tend to be casting jigs and minnow versus a bottom rig. I recommend a 1oz bell sinker to stay on bottom well, cause the current will want to push you out towards the channel.

Good luck

hey have you ever tried golden shiners? I use them allt he time for cats and usually do really well with them. There is a park in roseville (just north of St. Paul) called Central Park if you go to the east side of the park, there is a little pond connected to the lake and you can usually catch a bunch of golden shiners down there. They get to the size of decent crappies. and normally bite on aboot a 1/64 oz white jig or just a hook and a worm

------------------
"The Minnesota Wild are not a hockey team, they are a cult!"
~General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks Brian Burke

MJB,
Yeah. At least I'm pretty sure they are whites. I'd hardly call them minnows, though. They're usually in the 1 - 3 pound range. The smaller sucker minnows are in there, but on a hook and line with a big gob of crawlers, you catches will be bigger. I've been fishing suckers (and other rough fish) out of the Zumbro for as long as I can remember. I love chasing walleyes, northerns, etc. But I know I can ALWAYS catch suckers, carp, and such with little or no equipment off the shore on any branch of the Zumbro. Oronoco is special because the fish stack up below the dam.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. Those 1-3Ibers are perfect musky bait. Well, if you see someone there fishing for suckers and putting them in a huge tub, that would be me. I'll be sure not over fish your honey hole. I usually do not use suckers while I'm fishing in MN, only when I'm fishing on the St. Croix or Mississippi or Wisconsin.

Thanks
MJB

Lunker, I get my bait out of Minnehaha Creek for flathead fishing. Lot's of chubs & a few suckers & bullheads. A piece of crawler, power nibble or bread on a small jig will get some. You can chunk them up for channels too. The creek is a little high right now, so bait is tough to catch. But when the levels stabalize, you should have no problem catching a few chubs or suckers. Good luck, Vern

Where along the creek do you fish if I may ask. I fish above the falls by the parkway sometimes, and all i seem to catch are bullheads and the occasional carp.

Tried to go catch some bait today for cutbait in the creek. First went to where it runs past nokomis, caught gills, crappie, carp, bass, but no suckers or chubs. Then went to where it exits hiawatha and got bullheads and bass. Was fun, but came home empty handed.