• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eels

ricqik

Who here have caught or have tried for eels? A long time ago my uncle caught one and he brought it home. We cooked it and it taste exactly like carfish. Yummy. I go fishing in rivers and always hope to catch one but no luck so far.

I think the St. Croix has a good population of American eels. I've seen them caught out of the Sunrise River which is a tributary of the St. Croix. I don't know how you would actually go about trying to find & catch them. They probably taste fine but I don't think I have the guts to eat one. I'll take your word for it. Vern

I caught one in south carolina, scared the hell out of me, i thought i was pulling a snake out. As far as fishing for them, minnesota would not be the place to begin. In eastern states people fish for them by casting some sort of cotton catchy cloth with nightcrawlers attached to it, and when eels bite it they get their teeth stuck in the fibers. I caught mine on a shrimp on a carolina golf course pond. But they are considered a delicacy many places, and a lot are shipped to japan.
If you fish for them, use some sort of meat bait, fish, crawler, cutbait etc. on the bottom.

catch the big ones(then throw em back)

I concur - they are waayyyyy yummy. I caught one, a 3'er in Vermont when I was a teenager. When it took my ball-o-crawlers I didn't know what it was - it felt weird on the line like someone pulling, but not thrashing. Heck of a fight.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Boy, I would never eat an eel caught in Minnesota. They are born in the Carribean and have to swim up the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico to get here. If you think the Miss is polluted here, think about what it looks like a few hundred miles downstream. Those eels have got to be the most polluted fish in the state from living in the lower Mississippi for most of their lives.