• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toad which Nisswa lake you carpin' in?

JP Z

Just curious as I've really only found carp in Mille Lacs (Zounds, the're Torpedos there.) And of course in the Mississippi. Where else you fishin? If you don't mind sayin that is.

Hey JP,

Give up my spot, eh? Hmmm . . . I don't know . . . wouldn't want millions of eager Minnesota carp anglers to burn too hot a trail to this hotspot wink.gif. Okay, so maybe millions is a bit of an exaggeration. Two or three is more likely.

You know the Ossie chain (Ossawinamakee, Star, Kimble)? These lakes retain fair populations of giant common carp that must've arrived in the system via Pelican Creek (or perhaps through the Pine River system?) You'll see 'em while cruising near shallow weedy areas connected to shore-- particularly shallow weedy bays in spring and summer.

In three not-too-serious attempts, I've only hooked four fish, but each has been huge-- 20 pounds plus. All fish ate a White Wulf dry fly tethered to an 8 weight Sage rod. Holy smokes what a fight!

No such thing as a "Non-Game Fish"! smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

Thank you sir! I've attempted the submarines at the Gull dam. Those are just amazing to look at....if you haven't you should just to see a 30+ carp. (Or the water could just be making them bigger but I don't think so.)

My parents have a place on a small lake near Deerwood. The lake has a population of big Buffalo Fish that tend to sun themselves on hot, sunny, summer days in deep bays. Tried many times to get them to bite with no luck. One day my brother and I broke out our bowfishing stuff and decided to try and tag into one. I drove the boat and he shot. The first one he hit broke an arrow. Second one he nailed... 27 pounds... knocked the wind out of him with a tail slap when he brought it in. Nailed a second before they spooked that went 33 pounds! We went back a few days later with a pontoon boat for more stability. Didn't manage to stick one, but saw one we estimated at over 100 pounds... was as long as the width of the pontoon!! Still see them on hot days, but haven't tried sticking them again.

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Intriguing story there CornPirate. Buffalo, at least the bigmouth variety, grow to absolutely enormous sizes. The state record goes 40+, and I'm pretty sure fish of well over 50 exist, as no one bothers to fish for 'em, but 100?, well . . .

The upper Mississippi River holds a fair population that can be caught on dough baits, but it'd be interesting to learn about a lake population. I'd be curious about your lake, if you'd care to share. Thanks!

-a friend called Toad

[email protected]