• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mooneye

I've fished the bufflo river for mooneye for the past two years and have done fairly good for them, but the river is very low this year. I was wondering if anybody knew how to fish them in shallower water or if there is different kinds of bait i should be using. If anybody had any sugestions they would realy help me right now.

Topwater, I too am a mooneye enthusiast, it's great fun to get into a bunch of them on light tackle. Mooneyes are extremely fond of emerging mayfly or caddis, feeding on the surface in a frenzy. A 4-wt flyrod is my weapon of choice, but when there's no hatch on I usually do fairly well with angleworms. I've also caught a few large specimens on shiners. Are you speaking of the Buffalo river in WI? If not, please inform me of this mooneye spot in mn. Thanks, and tight lines!

------------------
~goblin
roughfish.com

This bufflo river isnt in WI, but is in MN, my spot for them is in the Bufflo River State Park. it's right in-between Hawley and Glyndon. But this year its slow for them. thaks for the info on the Mayfly and Caddis idea i'm starting to fly fish and i'm gonna have to try that.

Getting on the fly fishing subject has anyone fly fished for any other rough fish and if you have i would like to know how you've done it and what kind of flys to use.

Ha Top Water I live in stillwater and love fishing for carp and cats in the St.Croix.If you want some fun with that fly rod then try this. A couple of years ago I was down at lowell park in Stillwater by the lift bridge and was watching a bunch of tourist feeding the ducks in the river, but the ducks wasn`t the only thing eating the bread crumbs.I watched several large carp come up and suck the bread right of the surface!Well then I had myself a right smart idea and took some bread and slipped a plain hook into it and flipped it out there in the river,,and oh lord god what fun.I lost count how many biggins I tossed back .We are talking I would guess about 15 to 20lb carp about 2 1/2 feet long, oh man was that fun and I was using a 7-8 8 ft fly rod with a simple 8lb leader. and i lost alot of fish.If you are ever in the area stop by and give it a try.
Basshunter