• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am pretty much ready. Not sure where you guys are hunting but up here the weather looks really good. Cloudy, 50's, NW wind 5-10 MPH. Will be taking my son on his fist duck opener. I myself have not gone for many years so am actually quite excited for it. There are a few birds around so we should get a few. Will be hiking into a WPA that is a bit of a walk so crowds will not be an issue. Good chance we will have the pond to ourselves.

Just cuz they're flying that direction don't mean the migration started!  :lol:

Summer-like temps again this year for the opener.  I don't think they're bugging out yet.  Last year I saw teal in NE MN in the 3rd week of October!

I have enough shells and some calls I suck at blowing, along with decoys that sport my initials and '87 so I guess I'm as ready as every other year!

44 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Just cuz they're flying that direction don't mean the migration started!  :lol:

Summer-like temps again this year for the opener.  I don't think they're bugging out yet.  Last year I saw teal in NE MN in the 3rd week of October!

I have enough shells and some calls I suck at blowing, along with decoys that sport my initials and '87 so I guess I'm as ready as every other year!

The guy who told me this said teal were in big groups and he saw a few hundred

The MN DNR doesn't think we've had much movement but Louisiana thinks half their teal have left. :confused:

Its early and I haven't had coffee yet, so my reading skills might not be up to par but that's what I just read.

The good news is we get to figure it out for ourselves tomorrow.  Good luck!

Yeah, thunderstorm rolling in with 50 mph wind! :angry:

I did some scouting this afternoon and we finally decided which place to go.  4 hours of trying to sleep through the storms and then hope we only have rain so we can hunt.  

Duck opener is pretty cool!

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Yeah, thunderstorm rolling in with 50 mph wind! :angry:

I did some scouting this afternoon and we finally decided which place to go.  4 hours of trying to sleep through the storms and then hope we only have rain so we can hunt.  

Duck opener is pretty cool!

I hope it stops for you! Looks like it just west of me.

4 hours ago, Wanderer said:

It was a nice morning - with exception of my buddy swamping his kayak on the way out.  We left pretty early since he started getting chilled.  

52786409102__7D59D880-7E49-42DB-9506-0E6D6C1C72C5.thumb.JPG.bb16b73d5652ae8debc670f0806f7a64.JPG

Came home with two mallards; the only two birds I had a shot at.

Your buddy must be a real dummy! 

We got a couple this morning. Breakfast in the blind isn't quite as good when it's 76°. 

20170923_081941.jpg

20170923_072831.jpg

Weather was perfect up here! cloudy, drizzly, 55 degrees. we shot quite a few ducks, geese. The first hour was solid. Lots of birds around, but then as usual it died down. I was surprised at the amount of hunters out there on this WPA considering it was a 1/2 mile hike to get to it.  Left at 9:00 when my son got cold. Will be looking at getting a game cart to haul all the gear back and forth. Maybe try it again next weekend before I get serious on bow hunting......