• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Converter Wiring

Moon Lake Refuge

Got our converter/charger mostly figured out.  One question.  Shore power comes in then it has our 110 breakers and buss bars, then it has our DC fuses but no buss bar for the DC ground.  Is this normal?  Should I install a separate ground buss?  Having a steel frame would I be safe just grounding to the frame too, or should I put a buss bar in?  My wire is 16/2 so I have the wire running the length for both anyhow.

Thanks,

What converter did you install?  I used the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and love it so far.  You can get a buss bar at any Menards/Lowes/HD, just look in the electrical section by the circuit breakers/electric panels.  You will want one with some larger lugs just so you can fit your battery wire and wire to the converter (I used 4 gauge).

Here is a picture of my electrical space/battery box in one of my couches.  The DC buss bar is located on the 2x4 on the floor in the middle right side of the picture.  I would hesitate grounding it to the frame just because there is so much water involved and electrolysis could occur between metals of different types causing some issues. 

20160110_194357_resized.thumb.jpg.42a491

1 minute ago, YettiStyle said:

What converter did you install?  I used the Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and love it so far.  You can get a buss bar at any Menards/Lowes/HD, just look in the electrical section by the circuit breakers/electric panels.  You will want one with some larger lugs just so you can fit your battery wire and wire to the converter (I used 4 gauge).

Here is a picture of my electrical space/battery box in one of my couches.  The DC buss bar is located on the 2x4 on the floor in the middle right side of the picture.  I would hesitate grounding it to the frame just because there is so much water involved and electrolysis could occur between metals of different types causing some issues. 

20160110_194357_resized.thumb.jpg.42a491

Good to know.  I'll go that route.  Thanks!

Just now, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't) I took the ground wire (DC-) from the converter to a grounding bar, and then back to the battery.  I'll try to remember to take a look tonight.

Sounds right if grounding a bus bar.  Just didnt know if anyone ever used the frame, but since I have the wire anyhow I'll just go to a bar.

Thanks!